Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For a new house to be built,it looks like I shall go with Trane furnace and air conditioner,based on interpretation of this here forum opninions
    1 HVAC contractor is bidding Trane outright, another is selling only American Standard. The story than is that Am Std owns Trane,no question there,therefore the AS models are the same as TRANE with a different label.I like to verify that.Mercedes owns Chrysler, but I believe there is a slight difference in models, so that logic doesnt wash with me.
    Thanks for any pointers

same system, american standard cost a little more.
    my opinion is either one will cost you in electric service once coils get dirty and no one cleans them because of having to remove all the panels to do it.compressors are hard to get to and will lead less enthusiastic techs to misdiagnose compressor failures. evap coils are very tall and if your installing a gas furnace and coil in closet save your money to pull furnace when coil repairs or replacement needed becuase it will not come out of closet.
    need more. carrier, bryant deluxe systems are a better buy and i believe a better system. but its your home.

trane or a/s

I been a dealer for a/s for the last 10 plus year and the only thing that that airworx said that was true was about the coils being taller . I dont really think one brand is alot better than the other brands . Some exceptions are units with bristol compressors . I really like installing a/s coils because their pre-charged , when I break the seal and I hear the nitrogen excape , I know the coil is not going to leak . The answer to your question is they are the same . Please overlook the smoke screen the carrier dealers is using to sell his equipment . I prefer not to bash other brands of equipment and focus on the installers to do a good job . Bobh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Actually when I went to purchase the AS 18 cost less then the Trane XL19i.

Thanks all, your confirmation is appreciated.That allows me to purchase Am Std equipment at substantial savings over the Trane stuff of otherwise same specifications.

Lets see whether there are any final opinions or warnings on the actual equipment:

I selected top of the line against my usual custom of going economical,meaning best value.The reason being that ever increasing energy costs probably make the most efficient model the most economical also.

I have a 1 story 2400 sqf residence to be built with cathedral ceilings to 14 f,

the HVAC contractors calculated as needed a 5 ton airconditioner and blower, 22,000 cf/min, 120,000 BTUh
    I shall also try a electrostatic filter
    The unit goes into the attic

I am thinking of:

Furnace : Trane 93% efficiency XV90
    Air: Trane 19 XLi

ducting will be "airtight" vinyl with R-4

OK, any more good advice

thanks again

My brother-in-law is a Trane dealer, he went to the company where they make them , both are the same,just look different is all, it's Trane that is a little more than American Standard, not the other way around

Re: trane or a/s

Originally posted by bob hubbard
    I been a dealer for a/s for the last 10 plus year and the only thing that that airworx said that was true was about the coils being taller . Bobh

Bob, When I come across a trane condensor that hasn't been serviced for 10 years, I have to charge extra, because it takes me an extra hour to take off the covers with all them screws. I think airworx has something there.

trane/a-s

I had a 3.5 ton ac out of the box in my shop so I walked out to take a look . 8 - 5/16 screws and the whole top comes off . 2 screws in the one side make 10 . The others panels interlock and slide out the top . The new coils are round and set back deeper inside the case which makes it easy to spray off . With a battery drill this shouldnt take more than 10 mins . I personally have new had to completely remove all the panels . Im not saying this may never have to be done . The orginal question was are the 2 units the same , Not how long it takes to clean a 10 yr old condenser . Lets talk about the carrier and brannts units from 1980 - 1992 that had od condensor leaks because of poorly engineered metal brackets that held the copper in place . Too small of holes cut the tubing causing freon leaks . But what does this have to do with the orginal question ? bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

bob h: I asked the Q before about how easy it would be for the HO to clean the coils of an A/S and someone only 2 screws have to be taken out. You are saying 10 for a Trane, I guess, is it more than an A/S?? Thanks

trane or a/s

I just take the 4 screws o the top and get the leaves out by hand & than flush the coil from inside out . 95 % of the time , thats all it takes . I always tell the homeowner to spray it off from the out side twice a year & have me come out every other year for an inside clean & check . bh

The spine coil design does rinse off well, if done regularly. I had one that was impacted with mud from a heavy ran, and it washed off in minutes.

To back wash the coils on the XL19I all you do is remove the top, very little effort, and backwash from inside out. The design of the XL19I unit cabinets is totally different then the older XL units which took more to get at. The side covers come off very easily also. Trane understood this when designing going to the XLI new units.

FACT: The A/S covers can be removed in SECONDS, NOT HOURS ! This is the 20th century ! Buy power tools ! Try a cordless 1/4 inch impact
    Allso ask a american standard or trane dealer for cleaning instructions.they are easy to clean & doesnt take long at all.......
    Far to often its the tech or installer, not the equipment !
    Callbacks are nonexisting on A/S equipment.Provided they are installed properly.
    Its a no brainer that there are massive #`s of 10-20 + year old spine fin coils out there still keeping the original compressors nice &happy with no failures.

The spine fin can function with more dirt/debris that would cripple a plate fin....

I know this all to be true :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast