Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Let's say all the ducts come off a single supply plenum. If I have an 8-inch supply duct and replace the existing 8-inch takeoff with a 10-inch takeoff and a reducer, would that increase airflow to that duct?

Probably not enough to notice.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Using a shortened collar,so the reduer is as close to the plenum as possible,you will reudce the equivalent feet of that run by 25 feet.So if the runs is 175 TEL now,and you reduce it to 150 TEL,,might notice the the diference.

Guessing that the availaibe static in the plenum is .15,the
    the 8" could be at 200 cfms and go to 230.This is just guessing without knowing the TESP,and seeing the complete duct layout,I'd say you won't get more then this and could easily get less improvement.

Use the 10" takoff and Run the 10" duct out as far as you can then go the reducer to 8 inches. That "might" (too many unknowns) get it closer to 250-cfm but will increase the velocity through the boot and diffuser.

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html

Originally posted by udarrell
    Use the 10" takoff and Run the 10" duct out as far as you can then go the reducer to 8 inches. That "might" (too many unknowns) get it closer to 250-cfm but will increase the velocity through the boot and diffuser.

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html

The friction rate quoted in your site is not applicable to all duct systems,many need to be designed at .06 or .08,as opposed to .1 or .09.A manual D design will give you the correct FR for every job.

Under normal conditions, yes you will increase the volume by at least by 40-50 %. now if the velocity increases approx 15 % along with this added volume , you'll be ahead.
    And i don't think the 'TEL' effect will ever be noticeable (as Panama also stated) by so-called "shortening" of the length of the takeoff.
    Keep the reducer as far downstream as possible.

Originally posted by deejoe
    Under normal conditions, yes you will increase the volume by at least by 40-50 %. now if the velocity increases approx 15 % along with this added volume , you'll be ahead.
    And i don't think the 'TEL' effect will ever be noticeable (as Panama also stated) by so-called "shortening" of the length of the takeoff.
    Keep the reducer as far downstream as possible.
    Okay ,now let me understand this,you predict the volume will increse by 40 to 50 %,and Panama agrees by saying "probably not enough to notice".

Can you tell me what you base the 40 to 50% increase on??

Sorry guys, I am with Dash, I just dont get it?

i dout that it will make any differance at all. to make any real differance would be to increas the run all the way to the diffuser. the other thing would be to run a trunk line sized for the amount of cfms you need and make all the take offs a lot shorter. a manual d will help with this. most air handlers need a pleum at least or close to three ft long then the trunk connected into it. to have all of the runs off the pleum is just free fall and not much for control of the air.

Different location on duct system but....

while reading through manual d I noticed that large takeoffs w/reducers have a pretty significant effect on airflow in round trunklines.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Originally posted by fat bob
    Let's say all the ducts come off a single supply plenum. If I have an 8-inch supply duct and replace the existing 8-inch takeoff with a 10-inch takeoff and a reducer, would that increase airflow to that duct?
    I would say increase the size of the duct all the way to the boot,or add an additional branch.

Depends on how much CFM you are short to the room.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

dash; simple math; 8" = 50"
    10" = 78"

I understand the idea of thinking, but he is still just running it through a 8" diameter duct from the take-off attached to the plenum.

I doubt he will notice any increase in airflow worth the effort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast