repair or replace

A/C not working, ice on unit, etc.... tech diagnosed a leak in the evaporator coil on a goodman 75,000 AS36A224RA. System is 10 years old. My delimma is weather to try and fix the coil or replace the coil and condenser. Also was told by tech that I needed 1-2 extra air returns for better efficiency. I realize that I am at the middle point between repair vs. replace since the system is 10 yrs old and on the old R-22 freon. I live in hot humid SC and we run our air 7 months out of the year. Any and all advice or comments on this would be much appreciated. Thanks, D

If I were you I would want to know cost of repair vs. cost of replacement and then make a decision. Its really your choice. Just consider efficiency and warranties.

price it both ways from more than 1 company and make a decision.

Smile

Hmm... 10 years old , leak at coil , uses more than half the year , I have My decision , having stayed in SC.

I would probably replace with more eff system,esp if you are planning on staying in your home awhile,goodmans are good lower price units,since their with amana now,did the tech happen to look at the heat exch,old goodmans are known for cracks,the new goodman 95% are excellant systems,get some quotes,good luck.

Sounds like >>>

A/C not working, ice on unit, etc.
    You have airflow problems that didn't just happen with this latest problem
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!