Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know he's your friend, but to lighten things up some for ya the "Assistant Chief Engineer" is not the "ACE". He's the "Ass Chief".

Friends or not if you don't activly seek a job in the hvac field if that's what you want to do you'll get left behind and be stuck where you are now. You survived before you got this job. And no you shouldn't be treated like **** like you are. That's not how it is everywhere.

Welcome to the real world.
    Especially in hotel maintanance, where owners hire kids like you instead of paying experienced contractors like us, and then expect you to know everthing. Keep working, bite your tongue, pick up some experience and then get the hell out asap.
    Good luck.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I know... I think I knew the answer before I even posted. Even if the current state of affairs was better on the employee side ( ie no complaining arses ) it still wouldn't be a good job for me since i'm learning absolutely nothing about the HVAC field.

They have you humping luggage, bringing people remotes for their TV and about the only HVAC repairs your doing is making sure the idiot in room XXX whose complaining the a/c is not working has turned it on. I know this because at the hotels I worked its security and the night auditor. and we play maintained man bell hop and everything else..and after 11pm any problems call the engineer who tell you to do things like cut the wires on the smoke detectors and he will fix it in the morning. Also most of the HVAC stuff is room units and some plant stuff but all of it is so old that dinosaurs would recognize it.
    Partly true... we actually have a bellman on staff 24/7 and security on weekends. Usually have about three night auditors working and the nightly contract cleaning crew. This is a very high end hotel, but from what I understand the night engineer is simply there so the CE doesnt get called... meaning im not worth training.

*sigh*

Anywho I updated the old resume today and im plastering it all over Monster... see what happens.

Sorry, jingo, didn't really catch the "not learning much a/c" part the first time I read your post.

I remember when you posted about getting this job in the jobs section and I remarked something like the hotel biz has likely changed a lot since I first got into it years ago. Apparently I was right. When I worked for Marriott, it was a good deal and there wasn't shame in being a building engineer for a hotel. The company treated you well and they believed in training. I started out as a room service waiter, crossed over to maintenance wanting to learn a/c, but started doing room maintenance at first. It was actually good...if tedious...because I got to learn the building well and was able to make the jump to repairing a/c's when the older guy got tired of repairing PTAC's all day long. He'd rather be in the kitchen tending to the walk-ins, reach-ins, and kitchen equipment, so he was more than happy to turn the PTAC's over to me, which gave me momentum to eventually do more of what he did.

But I understand if where you are now has no future and HVAC still lights your sparkler, this is the time of year when you should be able to get on with an HVAC company. You'll still have to pay your dues by grinding out PM's or doing the attic monkey thing or other grunt work, but it will get you around equipment and procedures and technicians that daily deal with stuff you learned in school and can bounce against the real world.

Also sounds to me that if they've already burned through two night guys for the same reason you're complaining of, management is simply asleep at the switch or just plain don't care. Not a good thing.

One thing that has stayed consistent since my younger years is that it is NOT easy for a young man to ease into this trade and pick up steam. A business owner wants a warm body that puts money in his pocket, so he tends to see young person with little experience as not a money-maker. But the young people have to get the experience somehow, so you end up doing the grunt work until you can pick up enough to perhaps make some cash in a service van.

Good luck with your endeavors.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Hmm...

Had a meeting with the Chief today actually... seems that he is overall very pleased with the work ive done, and the fact that im always on time/never miss days. Also said that he is wanting to start steering me towards working on the kitchen equipment ( icemakers, servidyne, walk ins, reach ins ) which made me very happy to say the least.

The employee who got up in my face walked in today like nothing ever happened, and ive been told its his "sense of humor". I still don't get it though... the way I was raised if you get in someones face kidding or not you should expect to get clocked.

Gonna see how things pan out... overall im feeling much better today though.

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by jingoism
    Had a meeting with the Chief today actually... seems that he is overall very pleased with the work ive done, and the fact that im always on time/never miss days. Also said that he is wanting to start steering me towards working on the kitchen equipment ( icemakers, servidyne, walk ins, reach ins ) which made me very happy to say the least.

The employee who got up in my face walked in today like nothing ever happened, and ive been told its his "sense of humor". I still don't get it though... the way I was raised if you get in someones face kidding or not you should expect to get clocked.

Gonna see how things pan out... overall im feeling much better today though.
    Did you ask for a timetable or action plan? Did he give you a rundown on what he needs to see from you in order to make this move happen? Did you clarify how it is to be handled next time the immature tech "gets in your face"? If the CE is unwilling or unable to have these discussions with you, he's blowing smoke up you-know-where... You need to have plan B available and be willing to use it no matter what he says.

I have to say more because even though I'm half way through my hvac career now, I face a similar delemma. Any owner, boss, or supervisor who makes comittments to you and fails to follow up, while you've met and exceeded expectations, is blowing you. The raise, promotion, truck, bonus, time off, and a million other things that never come are nothing but carrots dangling out there in an attempt to make you perform better, give more, or stick around longer. I say that if a tech keeps up his/ her end of the deal that the boss better too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12