Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recently graduated from tech school under the HVAC program, and recently got a job at a hotel doing facilities maintenance. Not exactly what I went to school for, but I figured it would be good expirience since I had nothing to offer a company except my schooling.

Now to the expectations... I expected a few things. First off I expected to be trained properly for a few weeks before I was thrown to the sharks so to speak. Instead I only got trained for three days, and this was mostly sitting around chatting and watching TV much to my dismay, and then I was thrown onto the night shift where I stay to this day ( two months ago ). Im now told just to figure stuff out on my own... which I do, but if I cannot figure something out then im scolded by the morning crew who tell me that im not a good employee. These are not my managers... just co-workers, but the words hurt none the less.

Secondly I expected that hard work would be rewarded with at least a modicum of respect... i'm always on time, never miss a day and do not slack off on the job. From the moment I arrive im running around doing my multitude of tasks until time comes to leave. Not only do I get absolutely no respect from my co-workers, but instead they complain every morning about how "you do nothing at night"... this floors me everytime I hear it. I feel like my hard work is all for naught since im sure my boss only hears negative things about me, but since I never see my boss I wouldnt really know.

I feel like this job was a decent enough place to start, but should I expect this kind of thing everywhere I go?!

Maybe im being too emotional about this, and need to get a thicker skin... today this same employee got up in my face and it seemed like physical violence was emminent though. My adrenaline was pumping and I wasnt backing down, but the whole time I was thinking "this is not the time or place for this"... god... this whole thing is depressing.

I have lived this. Acquire all the knowledge you can and move on. Only worry about the paycheck at the end of the week and not the employees right now. Don't get into it with them, you will only lose. Chances are is that they are bringing problems from home and taking things out on you cause you are not working on their shift. Day shift people tend to pawn off things on night shift people especially when the night shift person is young. The problem here is the supervisor that lets this happen.

As I see it, you didn't shop around when you got out of school. 2 of my sons went to Hudson Valley C. C. and got associates degrees in HVAC. That school has 100% placement. Employers start recruiting their grads 6 months ahead of time.

Okay now you are in a bad job. What to do? The worse thing for an employer to see on a resume is a big long list of jobs that you have had. Stay with the job you have until you find something better. Since you are on the night shift you can shop for a new job during the day.

Get with a contractor if you want to "see the world" a little bit. But it is IMPORTANT to be on the level. Leave your present job on good terms. Do not quit until you have the job you are looking for.

Benny, realistically we don't know where this guy lives. He may have had a wife and kid to feed and his opportunities may have not of been as they are in Vermont.

Having a fellow employee "get in your face" denotes a management problem when this is allowed to happen and a feeding frenzy on him by others. It's no bed of roses being in this business at that age. The main thing is to watch your temper while gaining knowledge and as you said, leave on good terms. I would hate to think about working for someone else right now. I could simply not do it having done it before. Many days it is like walking though a mine field or I guess a lot like being married to my X.

Nothing like working for yourself.

I definately cannot afford to quit, and no amount of posturing and name calling will get me to do so. Just expected much more from this job... the "mind games" and insults just amaze me in an environment that should be professional.

I agree that alot of job jumping is a bad thing though... sticking with this job till I find something I feel im gonna be able to grow with.

I live in DFW btw... I had no previous experience in this field so my job picking seemed slim at the time. I took this job to bolster my resume and gain some experience, but now it seems that the only thing its bolstering is my blood pressure. hehe

Just control the blood pressure and anger. That in itself is a learning experience. It's just a job and no one is going to put you in a pot and boil you.

Geez, you wouldn't think that in Texas it would be hard to find a job in our field. In our area we will be good for a while. We are part of the upper Hudson River Valley. NYS, RPI and some other major players are committed to make the area the "Silicone Valley of the East."

Sometimes you have to be willing to go were the work is. You seem like a nice guy jingo so don't let your youth get you upset. At least you don't have to work with these day shift guys.

[Edited by benncool on 08-01-2005 at 11:48 AM]

I would actively seek another job. Much of what you are learning will not help at all in the HVAC field. I doubt any of the equipment your working on is close to what most companies service.I know you are not being trained right to work on them. More than likely you are getting involved in hack repairs as I've found most of these type of jobs use the "what ever it takes to get it by" fix mind set. This is a poor starting point for learning the trade. It's summer and we are all desperate for some good help.Grab the paper and make some phone calls there must be many places seeking someone freash out of tech school.Pick up the Yellow pages and start calling AC companies.You wil find a job. It's hot. It's summer. We all need help right now.

Maybe im being too emotional about this, and need to get a thicker skin... today this same employee got up in my face and it seemed like physical violence was emminent though. My adrenaline was pumping and I wasnt backing down, but the whole time I was thinking "this is not the time or place for this"... god... this whole thing is depressing.
    All I think you need, being young and fresh out of school, is to develop an ongoing job survival strategy. It will be necessary on every job you ever have...even if you ever become self employed. The better you become at developing and executing a job survival strategy, the more satisfaction you'll derive on the job, even in adverse conditions.

This does NOT mean you stay at a lousy job if your best efforts continually go for naught. It does mean you must be as honest as possible in evaluating yourself and how you approach difficult matters you encounter on the job.

In this case, you need to stack the deck in your favor. Since the day workers more likely see your supervisor much more than you do, they're the ones at the moment stacking the deck against you. You may need to stay late one morning, sit down with your boss, and talk things out. Don't point finger or name names...don't go in with a chip on your shoulder. Make an appointment with him, then go in and ask what the expectations are for you and your job title, and if you are meeting those expectations. If you are told you are lacking in some areas, ask specifically what can be done on your part to mee those requirements. If you believe your supervisor might bear some responsibility, ask him how he believes he can help you meet his goals for you.

In short, you need to be the most direct line of communication between you and your supervisor. I remember back when I worked hotels we filled out log sheets that documented everything accomplished during the shift. I also worked the night shift for a time when the night guy was ill or on vacation. I had things to fill out that accounted for my time. If your hotel has no established procedure for this, start your own journal. If your boss (not your coworkers) asks you to back up your performance, you'll have documentation to that effect.

Remember, you are not accountable to your coworkers but to your boss. He is the one that will have you inside the closed door of his office if he gives into what he hears from your coworkers, so you be proactive to keep the record in your favor.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by stevehvac
    I would actively seek another job. Much of what you are learning will not help at all in the HVAC field. I doubt any of the equipment your working on is close to what most companies service.I know you are not being trained right to work on them. More than likely you are getting involved in hack repairs as I've found most of these type of jobs use the "what ever it takes to get it by" fix mind set. This is a poor starting point for learning the trade. It's summer and we are all desperate for some good help.Grab the paper and make some phone calls there must be many places seeking someone freash out of tech school.Pick up the Yellow pages and start calling AC companies.You wil find a job. It's hot. It's summer. We all need help right now.
    The hack part rings true... thats exactly what they told me actually. I have to do whatever it takes to keep things running, and that rarely involves actually fixing anything.

In this case, you need to stack the deck in your favor. Since the day workers more likely see your supervisor much more than you do, they're the ones at the moment stacking the deck against you. You may need to stay late one morning, sit down with your boss, and talk things out. Don't point finger or name names...don't go in with a chip on your shoulder. Make an appointment with him, then go in and ask what the expectations are for you and your job title, and if you are meeting those expectations. If you are told you are lacking in some areas, ask specifically what can be done on your part to mee those requirements. If you believe your supervisor might bear some responsibility, ask him how he believes he can help you meet his goals for you.
    I do have one other thing going for me in this job that I failed to mention before, but now seems worth bringing up. I'm friends with the Assistant Chief Engineer and I think thats one of the only things that keeps me partially sane. I did set up a meeting with the Chief Engineer tomorrow to talk things out, but the ACE knows whats going on and even told me the exact same thing happened to the last two night shift guys ( who both quit I should add ).

don't know about the work available in Texas...and I know nothing about the HVAC job world. I've been doing security for the last 3 years and to get over time I work the hotels we have contracts with. Most of the hotel maintained in this area (I'm on the beach and also worked hotel in Orlando) is very unimpressive....even the expensive hotels cut so many corners. By reading your post, I'm guessing that your buddy the ACE problem talked you into coming to work for the hotel because it would be "easy money, lots of women and Ill teach you all you need to know". Friends lie At night at the hotel its most likely you and the night auditor. They have you humping luggage, bringing people remotes for their TV and about the only HVAC repairs your doing is making sure the idiot in room XXX whose complaining the a/c is not working has turned it on. I know this because at the hotels I worked its security and the night auditor. and we play maintained man bell hop and everything else..and after 11pm any problems call the engineer who tell you to do things like cut the wires on the smoke detectors and he will fix it in the morning. Also most of the HVAC stuff is room units and some plant stuff but all of it is so old that dinosaurs would recognize it.

But it all comes down to what do YOU want....to be the HVAC bell hop stay. Want to do residential..look in the yellow pages and apply...want commercial same thing. I'm not saying job hopping is a good thing...but if your that upset and learning as little as you said better to eject now before the plane crashes into the ground and you quit or get canned. As for the fellow employees...such is life.(night shift has always been accused of doing nothing...I don't like everyone I work with...don't have to...smile and be professional...and they will eventually develop a working relationship with the others.

Originally posted by jingoism
    From the moment I arrive im running around doing my multitude of tasks until time comes to leave. .
    If you dont mind,share with us what your tasks are specifically...maybe we can help make the other crew eat their words.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast