Alternative brazing

Hey guys is there any other ways of brazing that do not involve the rising cost of the 15% silver rods and oxyacetylene gases. As you all know the cost of the brazing rods themselves have doubled in the past year. I've heard of using propane and oxygen or even map gas. I personally would like to find a cheaper brazing rod.

buy 5% than- it's half the price
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    buy 5% than- it's half the price
    Better still get dynaflow at half the price and very close to the same performance characteristics. I also like to use an acetylene air torch in lieu of an oxyacetylene torch kit. Thank you very much

Dynaflow®
    Description: PhosCopper Brazing Alloy
    Dynaflow melts and flows at temperatures very close to Stay Silv 15, and provides comparable brazed mechanical properties. This makes Dynaflow an excellent cost effective alternative to the 15% silver alloys. This premium, medium range silver alloy has been meticulously formulated to even tighter specifications than our standard copper-to-copper alloys.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Consumables

Just wait till you price the 45% stuff ! It is sold by the Troy Ounce and was already 4 times more expensive than 15% rod.

I say stick with 15% and Oxy/Acet and simply pass the increase on as "Consumables".

Just like a savy Bar Tender can pour 32 "Shots" from a Fifth of whiskey (26 oz.) you should be able to cover the cost of the rod/gases + 20% on each Brazing job. That's not dishonest that plain business sense. A wise man once told me "Everyone has a right to make a FAIR profit" (emphasis on FAIR here) !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

I was working in the shop on Friday. My daughter ran past me with about $300.00 of 15 in her hands.

I traded her for some cut up coat hangers. I think I'm good for a while.

Like fuel you have to pass the cost on to the customer.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

My turbo torch with #14 tip will braze up to 2 inch copper. I have oxy-acetylene on the truck for bigger pipe. Dynaflow is probably the best low cost alternative to 15%. I have used oxy-mapp and it works well. I have also tried the 0% silver (silvabraze) it doesn't flow like 15% dynaflow is much better and less brittle because of the silver content.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

dynaflow is 6% silver but i hear ya
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Thanks for the info guys.