Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Meter

Senior Tech Guest
    Tired of hearing about meters yet? Tough....bought a new amprobe ACD 14...true rms, been a fluke man all my life but these guys are really impressing me so far, if it last as long as my Fluke they have a customer for life.

In the pre-digital years... Amprobe ruled! My partner bought an ACD-14... and in the period of four months, the 'beep' function of the continuity scale quit working, then the Ohms scale also quit... Sometimes the Volts would read zero when it was actually hot. I wrote it off as being just a bit of Buzzard Luck... and wound up ordering one too. When I got it... the only way I could get Ohms or Volts AC to work was to prop it up on it's side. And sometimes have to lay something on it to keep it there. I sent it back.

So that's two lemons. I spoke to the Wholesaler about other returns. They got back a few, he said.

I'm guessing that Amprobe will eventually solve these bugs... keep an eye on yours.

I also wish the screen was back-lit too... but that's what mini-maglites are for...
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

My Amprobe RS3 is PROBABLY older than I am, as is my Simpson 260. NEITHER one of those was EVER a problem.

Now, the first digital Amprobe I bought broke three times in the first six months. It spent more time in the repair shop than it did in my truck. From there I went a Beckman Industrial. Nice meter, still have it------SOMEWHERE.

But, on or about the year 1989, I was introduced to the John Fluke Manufacturing Company, and NOTHING else is on the same level as them.

Too bad that Fluke didn't come up with a clamp-on with things like Millivolts, and all the HVAC/R bits we love in lesser meters like UEI, Amprobe, Field-piece, and the like...

I'd ditch the six other digital meters I have for one of THOSE babys!

But it's gotta be back-lit though....

Originally posted by condenseddave
    My Amprobe RS3 is PROBABLY older than I am, as is my Simpson 260. NEITHER one of those was EVER a problem.
    YOU have these!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, you are old. I have the same but my Simpson meter is somewhere on the shelve and my RS3 has lost it's meter things, you know, what they call the points that hold the meter in place and let it move freely. I have wanted to send it back to get it rebuilt but am afraid Amprobe will want to keep it for their museum.

Got the thing in 1962 as I remember. I still have the little outside batter accessory for checking something.

Bet most guys here don't know the term, is it, paralex?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I also have an old RS3. Got it in 1967 I think

Jeez guys... I thought I was fishing back in time when I was telling of starting back in 1976.... sooooo.... nearing retirement, are we?

I have had the ACD14 in my tool inventory for a little over a year now. I LOVE IT! And if it breaks, it's gonna get replaced with another one just like it.

Unless there is a new improved model.
    (one that could take two temps... since it has two displays)

Yes, the backlit feature would be nice.
    (like the Fluke 52)

Already neared it...I'm there

Lucky basturd.

ricm
    I checked your biography in Profile. Seems we have a lot in common. Except for just about everything. Yeah retirement is not what its purported to be...its alot better.

I'm one the 'Freedom 85' plan. Oh, and I forgot to mention porcupine wrestling in my profile too.

Yes, I'm preparing for my retirement next Millenium - outfitting the old Harley with training wheels, a prescription windshield, and padding all over it, in case I faw-down-go-boom, or fall asleep, both will be likely - when I bomb around the Old-folks lodge parking lot.

And I have a company savings plan, so that I can afford the finest and most nutritious dog food this meager pittence money can buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast