Thread: New Furnace

Hi. I have a 4 year old, 2 1/2 ton Trane air conditioner that is running constantly when I set it at 76 degress or lower. It really had a hard time cooling when temperatures hit 100+ last week. I have a 22 year old Carrier furnace. My house is a little over 1300 square feet. I had a service technician tell me that the problem is with the old furnace, not the air conditioner. Do I need to have the furnace replaced as he suggested? Also, if I need a new furnace, does it have to be a Trane or can I use another, less expensive furnace.

Well you can have a tech clean the inside coil and also have him/her clean your blower motor wheel if needed. NO, you don't have to buy a Trane inside unit, but it does have to match up with your outside unit

Go with a good warranty and a good installer. You better hurry if you want a 10 or 12 seer model. It would also be wise to have a load calculation done on the home. This will tell you how much heat gain and loss you have and let one size the new equipment accuratly. Good luck!
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

I sure wouldn't dispose of a 4 year old unit!

Find a GOOD dealer. The only thing the old furnace does is move air. If it ain't moving what it should be, fix the problem. Of course it takes a good duct system too.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by notsure
    Hi. I have a 4 year old, 2 1/2 ton Trane air conditioner that is running constantly when I set it at 76 degress or lower. It really had a hard time cooling when temperatures hit 100+ last week. I have a 22 year old Carrier furnace. My house is a little over 1300 square feet. I had a service technician tell me that the problem is with the old furnace, not the air conditioner. Do I need to have the furnace replaced as he suggested? Also, if I need a new furnace, does it have to be a Trane or can I use another, less expensive furnace.

New indoor coil with that choochoo,or not?If not get a matchng one ASAP!