Thread: New Furnace

Hi. I have a 4 year old, 2 1/2 ton Trane air conditioner that is running constantly when I set it at 76 degress or lower. It really had a hard time cooling when temperatures hit 100+ last week. I have a 22 year old Carrier furnace. My house is a little over 1300 square feet. I had a service technician tell me that the problem is with the old furnace, not the air conditioner. Do I need to have the furnace replaced as he suggested? Also, if I need a new furnace, does it have to be a Trane or can I use another, less expensive furnace.

Well you can have a tech clean the inside coil and also have him/her clean your blower motor wheel if needed. NO, you don't have to buy a Trane inside unit, but it does have to match up with your outside unit

Go with a good warranty and a good installer. You better hurry if you want a 10 or 12 seer model. It would also be wise to have a load calculation done on the home. This will tell you how much heat gain and loss you have and let one size the new equipment accuratly. Good luck!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I sure wouldn't dispose of a 4 year old unit!

Find a GOOD dealer. The only thing the old furnace does is move air. If it ain't moving what it should be, fix the problem. Of course it takes a good duct system too.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by notsure
    Hi. I have a 4 year old, 2 1/2 ton Trane air conditioner that is running constantly when I set it at 76 degress or lower. It really had a hard time cooling when temperatures hit 100+ last week. I have a 22 year old Carrier furnace. My house is a little over 1300 square feet. I had a service technician tell me that the problem is with the old furnace, not the air conditioner. Do I need to have the furnace replaced as he suggested? Also, if I need a new furnace, does it have to be a Trane or can I use another, less expensive furnace.

New indoor coil with that choochoo,or not?If not get a matchng one ASAP!