+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compressor shutoff ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Hi,

Hopefully someone could help me. I have a 1/2 hp aquarium chiller and for some reason the compressor will shut off after about 10 minutes of operation. The fan on the condenser coil continues to run. After about a minute the compressor will try to restart, but never successful. I placed a voltmeter on the starting terminal of the compressor(the starting terminal is connected to the starting cap through a relay) and when it initially starts its at about 170V. As it continues to run it slowly decreases and once it fall to about 120V the compressor will shut off. After the compressor shuts off the terminal will measure 0V even when it tries to restart. I have a feeling the compressor is doing this because of low freon or the starting cap could be bad. Although if the compressor will start intially every time then its probably not the starting cap. Any other ideas?? FYI, this chiller is 120VAC and there is no low voltage control and it should always be chilling if its plugged in. Thanks for you help.

Senior Tech Guest
    compressor overheating and thermal protection device opening.

Post Likes
    what causes the compressor to overheat other than the ambient temp around the compressor?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in