Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ive got a question along with his.when do yall bust out the physrometrics chart.Can you give a situation you were in and how you solved it?
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them,Albert Einstein.Stop,Think,and Act!Find the PROBLEM before ever considering the SOLUTION,Carey Collins. What would Chesty Puller do?

If you cannot access the unit to get good airflow or delta T information, you go back and smack the installer for putting it in that way or the owner for building that wall.

You will not often pull a psychrometric chart out on the job, you will however need to take the time to properly evaluate a system's operation. As mentioned, know what suphereat is, then why you need to know it. Same for subcooling.

Here is an example.

You are working on an R-22 3 ton 10 SEER system and after making your readings you determine that the suction pressure is 56 and the suction line temp is 34 degrees. The High side has a head pressure of 212 and a line temp of 100. Its 91 degrees outside and 78 inside. Piston system. The customer's complaint is the unit keeps freezing up.

What do you see?

Now, look at it from hack and a half's perspective....

Suction pressure is low, add refrigerant.

how about a sticky thread with the 10 things your service tech should be able to answer before you let him leave. Superheat temp, subcool temp, suction temp ?? my AC doesn't keep up on the hotter days, but it's not so bad that it feels broken, but could it be better? When they next come to do a cleaning do I ask them to tell me those numbers, and if they can't ask them why aren't they checking my system like I'm paying them to? Seems like a short list of the things you know are necessary to diagnose a problem would let us homeowners get a feel for the level the tech is working at before the 3rd callback. I'm willing to be a pain and ask the tough questions Help us know what they are!

Alot of this is making more since to me.i was able to check about 3 systems today and noticed the differences in thier superheat and subcooling.i also realized that it doesnt take alot of freon to make a big difference.im already feeling guilty for past units i have charged without knowing this info.theirs been a bunch.
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them,Albert Einstein.Stop,Think,and Act!Find the PROBLEM before ever considering the SOLUTION,Carey Collins. What would Chesty Puller do?

that is the best part of this trade we learn from our mistakes and from others who know what they are doing so we can be better at what we do
    keep you mind open and you will learn keep it closed and you become just another pair of hands

Here is an example.

You are working on an R-22 3 ton 10 SEER system and after making your readings you determine that the suction pressure is 56 and the suction line temp is 34 degrees. The High side has a head pressure of 212 and a line temp of 100. Its 91 degrees outside and 78 inside. Piston system. The customer's complaint is the unit keeps freezing up.

What do you see?

Now, look at it from hack and a half's perspective....

Suction pressure is low, add refrigerant.
    Whats the SH on the unit? could be a stopped up coil ..

Just kidding I get the point , where I live I would bet i am the only one that does check all the temps... this saves me more time in the long run as well... I can fix the problem or atleast know what the problem is...

-MM

Originally posted by wideawake
    Ive got a question along with his.when do yall bust out the physrometrics chart.Can you give a situation you were in and how you solved it?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=33469

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12