Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does the 13 SEER Am.Std condenser come with Hi-Lo protection switches for the compressor? And a line drier?
    I saw an old message in the archives saying that they did not have the switches. THanks

All A-S units have tiny line driers like most. Need to know a model # about the rest. I believe only R410a units from A-S/Trane have any kind of pressure switches.

and that would be high pressure only. Trane and AS rely on the compressor IOL for low pressure protection.

I know it's a Heritage 14 2.5 Ton R-22. The brochure says Model no. is 2A6H4030A1000A.

No protection on that unit gmahler.

Benny, so the R410a units have no low pressure protection? Pretty scary if a leak occurs on the low side and the unit keeps running

That was pretty high on the tech rep gripe list when the design was released in 2001. Right up there with factory installed LL driers inside the cabinet. Trane reps have been pushing for loose shipped driers and LP switches for quite some time.

Looks like Carrier does the same. If you look at their web site, the Performance (R410) units have these features listed but not for the Comfort (R22) series. Whether that is a simple omission I don't know. Why don't they publish a matrix table with all of the features for all units in one place??

Would this be a showstopper? Isn't it important to have if you have leaks or someone overcharges the unit (i'm a novice here)

[Edited by gmahler on 07-31-2005 at 07:00 PM]

I think LP ought to be on any HP. Customers run the suckers in the winter and have no idea what's going on. Seen so many ruined by losing charge and running for months. LP on anything R410a makes sense with that POE oil in there. I'm certainly with the idea of external drier.

Of course pressure switches cost money and John Q Public wants to spend as little as humanly possible on their A/C And mfrs worried about market share are more than happy to omit features to keep the price down.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    And which mfrs. are not worried about market share????

Other then the leader!!!!LOL

As far as I can tell American STandard is already way overpriced in comparison to a lot of other units. So what would be the added cost of giving you a couple of safety switches on the units? There must be some differences included to justify the high cost of AM/Trane.
    "Go big or Go Home"

I too have been curious as to AS/Trane's lack of high and low pressure switches. In discussion with Trane's corporate offices a few years ago I received the following statement:

"Trane does not utilize a high pressure switch in any product utilizing R22 refrigerant, as the pressures upon failure will not reach a dangerous level. All Trane R410a products are equipped with a high pressure switch. While only the R410a refrigerant models come standard with a true high pressure limit switch, all Trane residential product compressors include an internal pressure relief. Low pressure switches do not come standard with any product as our compressors are extremely durable and we have not seen a significant advantage in utilizing the low-pressure switches."

I suppose if safety switches were to their advantage (i.e. reduced compressor warranty costs) then they would install them.

Carrier does have both switches on their R410 and R22 - Comfort line. There may be some models below the Comfort line that do not. I called the Carrier customer contact number (WHY does not Trane/A-S) have one on their web site and the call center person looked up a catalog and verified that they did. Assuming that is true they are haphazard in creating their web pages, maybe they had a line limit for each set of features that they could put on the page..

I've replaced 3 heat pump systems, 2 of which were under 5 yrs. of age in the past 2 years which were equipped with Copeland scroll compressors. All 3 had green slime due to major leaks which allowed the scroll to operate in a vacuum. None of course had loss of charge protection. Outdoor unit, indoor coil, and line set were replaced.

On the last replacement, a 5 ton 13 SEER system, I devised my own ambient compensated loss of charge control. Apparently because R22 based heat pump suction pressures somewhat mimic outdoor ambients in the heating cycle, factory installed low pressure switches that aren't ambient compensated would cycle the system off at low ambient conditions.

I wired a NC OD stat in series with a shrader mounted LP switch that opens at 10 psi. The system is vulnerable at ambients below 10 when the stat opens but at least it's protected 99% of the time.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast