Pennsylvania: WHAT A MESSSSSS!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile rob10

Why are you not working? OT ran out? Mine ran out 2 months ago. I expect it to pick up soon. It's hard to live on $5 an hour! What do you do for fun? I think the red head and I will turn in early. The plant called and canceled my OT for tonight. The wife just thought she was safe! Roy

Just finished

Pulling down a 16hr. and 12hr. OT days back to back. We are swamped. Had a coker unit catch fire last Friday. Looks like 14 weeks works of 7 days a week, 12 hrs., a day. First of the year, 28 major and midlevel turn arounds scheduled through 2009. Have had 2 1/2 days off in July.

Having just relocated to Pennsylvania, I will agree it is a mess. However, I don't think it is a mess for this reason. It has been known for years that when you go to the hospital you are more then likely going to pick up some kind of a bug there. Looks like PA is just the first to bring the issue to light with real data.

Now! Let's talk about the road systems in PA! Calling the PA road systems a mess is such an understatement, but I don't know if absolute disaster does it much justice either.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Correct me if I am wrong about this but I thought PA is also the state the has a special tax according to your job title. If your title is manager, supervisor or engineer you pay a job title tax that is higher than if you are a worker, laborer or some other simpler title.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

Now! Let's talk about the road systems in PA! Calling the PA road systems a mess is such an understatement, but I don't know if absolute disaster does it much justice either.
    No kidding... Try taking the trip up to Stroudsburg or Wilkes Barre from Philly... that's a road trip from hell...
    "Punctuation and capitalization is the difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse. And: helping your uncle jack off a horse"
    ---
    If Mexicans will do the jobs Americans won't do, will they secure our borders?

Hell if I know about that one Norm. If so, I am going to have my title changed to "useless waste of time". Why not, it's what my boss refers to me as anyway

Hell if I know about that one Norm. If so, I am going to have my title changed to "useless waste of time". Why not, it's what my boss refers to me as anyway
    I was told the the college teachers in PA don't like to be officially titled "professor" because they then paid a higher title tax. Plus, assistant professors paid less title tax than full professors.

OH well, in europe they tax you for owning a radio and tv and more if you have several.

I can always tell when I hit PA as I drive back home to Pittsburgh because of the roads. No question.

Unless you've lived in PA before Robo...it didn't take you long to notice that.
    Get back to work.™

Pennsylvania roads... where the 2 seasons are winter and construction

Norm, no, I don't think it is us that has a job title tax, but salaries and bonuses are taxed at different rates, so Robin, if you get a bonus, watch the taxes !

Originally posted by hvacprodmgr
    Pennsylvania roads... where the 2 seasons are winter and construction

Norm, no, I don't think it is us that has a job title tax, but salaries and bonuses are taxed at different rates, so Robin, if you get a bonus, watch the taxes !
    What if a salesperson works on commission? Is that taxed at the bonus rate?

Exclamation

Originally posted by NormChris

Correct me if I am wrong about this but I thought PA is also the state the has a special tax according to your job title. If your title is manager, supervisor or engineer you pay a job title tax that is higher than if you are a worker, laborer or some other simpler title.

As a life long resident of the Commonwealth of Taxylvania, I can assure you that you are not wrong.

As I understand it, The occupation tax is levied by some local school districts. There are several levels of taxation such as but not limited to: Licensed Professional-doctors, lawyers, barbers etc; Business owners-unlicensed non-professionals, farmers, self employed etc; Regular working stiffs, general laborers, anybody receiving a paycheck etc; and at the bottom, the unemployed, house wives, students, retired etc. It makes no difference what your income level is. It is determined solely by your occupation! They find out who you are when you register to vote but they don't call it a poll tax.

Fred,

Both my fiances and my state tax deductions went down since moving to PA from Maryland.

Now, back to these stupid roads. Why does every road change names every other intersection? Why are the few street signs there are so small and messed up that you can't read them? Why do numbered routes zigzag through the countryside? Why do you have to drive a block past an intersection to find out if you are still on the same route?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast