I bought a Coke machine, It apparently has a leak in the refrigerant lines. The lines get cold enough to sweat, but does not cool pop. While running, you can hear the gurgle and hiss of air moving through the cap tube. This sounds like a low charge to me, but being infamiliar with pop machines, is this possibly a different problem> I hear no evap fan motor running, How does it defrost? i find no defrost controls at all....Lastly, I do not have a charging cylinder for 502, i have one for r-12, is there a chart that crosses over from what 12ozs of 502 equals in a r-12 cylinder? would temp pressure still be a critical factor>>????...I am obviously lost, I retired before 502 was actually going to be used to replace 12....Your help is appreciated..Jim

welcome to h-talk.
    the search function at this site is great..here is what I found by plugging in "charging cylinder" under refrigeration and ice making forum...
    Icemaster formula ,by wannafreeze(or altan?)...

you want to use the formula:

new weight=new density/old density X old weight

now go read your eyes out!

[Edited by jacob perkins on 07-31-2005 at 01:06 AM]

If you can't find a leak, it's probably a plugged "Bullitt" type filter/drier or a strainer in the liquid line.

I tossed my charging cylinder 5 years ago. Haven't missed it either. Access to a scale?

Yeah, and welcome, too. (I think the "Old Ones" have more welcoming authority than I do )
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Thanks for the replys this far, your information is appreciated. I will have to do some figureing to find the page suggested to check, I went in under the heading suggested but did not find the post... I may have to re read the instructions. I wish I had a scale, that would make it alot easier to add a charge, i considered a restriction in cap tube but will have to look up more information on the control aspect of the operation..I did notice the thermostat has a small screw for changing cycle times and wondered if it was for the defrost ....Thanks again, Seems like a good group here, very helpful.

you might want to try again because there was a link there to find the density needed to use the formula....

on the search page you type in "charging cylinder" then choose the choose the forum "refrigeration and ice making"from the list.

The one I cited is about half way down the list of 17 threads.

Originally posted by snasu0 no
    I retired before 502 was actually going to be used to replace 12....Your help is appreciated..Jim
    You retired in the early 1960's????????

Actually, 502 was never intended to replace 12 in anything but low temp equipment.

I find it odd that a Coke machine would have 502 in it.

Maybe Rayr or the Icemeister would know more about whether that was common in those days.

The only refrigerant I've ever seen in older coke machines is R12. R502 was used quite a lot in medium temperature applications (much like R404A is today), so I suppose a unit with R502 might have been made.

With regards to which "new" refrigerant replaced R12 for low temperature work, it was actually R22 back in the fifties. R502 came on the scene in the early 60's and saved a lot of compressors from cooking to a slow death on R22.

R-502 is History by now... maybe a few techs have some in storage... I'm wondering if one were to try changing the oil to POE and try using AZ50? Just wondering if that will help the compressor survive...

After the leak is found and fixed, ofcourse.

Bet, if you went to one of the Refrigeration companys in your area, someone there could help you out with maybe the loan of a scale, or charging cyl.

I guess that might not seem likely... but here in Small city Canada... they'll likely come over and fix it for you, for a case of beer.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Yeah, beer... Ricm, if I thought you needed a scale I would drop it off out there tomorrow (or however long it takes me to get there) for a case of beer. Cold and Canadian that is if I had the time I guess I would email it if you email the beer back.

I know plenty of guys who have converted old Coke machines into beer fridges. I converted a 56 Frigidaire into draught with lines up to the bar in my old basement...It helped having a neighbour who was sales for Molson.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Yep Gruntly... and don't forget the old Canuck Mantra...

"Sure, I'll do it for a case of beer, but when you bring it over... leave enough time to share it with me!"

Originally posted by icemeister
    The only refrigerant I've ever seen in older coke machines is R12. R502 was used quite a lot in medium temperature applications (much like R404A is today), so I suppose a unit with R502 might have been made.

With regards to which "new" refrigerant replaced R12 for low temperature work, it was actually R22 back in the fifties. R502 came on the scene in the early 60's and saved a lot of compressors from cooking to a slow death on R22.

Until the jackasses of the '80's came up with a "new and improved" lo temp system.

Won't be long Dave, when we old dogs retire, and worry only about the quality of dog food we can buy with our green stamps... and the new up and coming techs won't even blink at the long gone concepts of the main three refrigerants.

They'll come up with new stuff... and say... "Until the jackasses of the 2010's came up with a "new and improved" lo temp system.