Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First of All:

HomeDepot allows the contractor to provide man power for the 10 SqFt of space in the building. For this the contractor has the right to sell you an air conditioner and furnace. Now the contractor is responsible to man the store at a minimum of 40 hours per week. The contractor pays this person $10.00 per hour (Called a LEAD Generator) to talk you into allowing their salesman to come to your home for an estimate. Now the salesman depending on the company earns from 8% to 10% for making the sale. The contractor pays the salesman this commission and then pays HomeDepot 10% for this wonderful opportunity to do a lousy overpriced installation for you. Now the contractor has to make a profit on top of all of these other costs. What part of you have been had don't you understand???????????

Second: You have a very difficult installation due to the age and construction of your home. You absolutely need to have a contractor that has some idea of heat loss / heat gain calculations, proper duct sizing and how to install it correctly.

Third: It sounds as though your insulation is well below reasonable standards complicating your comfort problems and operating expenses.

Good Luck, you have been had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NormChris

Generally speaking, the contractors who subcontract work from Homedepot, Sears and the like are those who agreed to perform the work at the very lowest prices so Homedepot and Sears could make the profit. You can be sure that even if you think Homedepot just made a referral that money was probably exchanged between them or they have an agreement. Those agreements are always in favor of the chain not the smaller contractor. Therefore, the contractor has to be in and out of the job as fast as possible or they don't make money.

Higher quality contractors don't work for the Big chain stores. I doubt that you will get any satification from your current contractor. I would not want them back after the mess they already made.

So, you are probably in a situtation where you are going to have to pay twice and hire a quality contractor. Don't be suprised to learn that there are more things that were not done correctly or short-cuts that were taken when the new contractor has a look at the installation.

Norm, not making fun, now, but I gotta tell you I REALLY like the word used above: "satification." Even if it isn't, it ought to be a REAL word. Definition: being able to provide justification for the feeling that one has been satisfied. I LIKE IT! LOL
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

NormChris
    >So the inspector never went inside to look at the new furnace >that was replaced? Really?
    >
    >What city in the San Francisco area do you live in? I lived >in San Jose for 25-years.
    Los Altos.

crt,
    >Good Luck, you have been had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I've really been had than I could try to get a partial refund out of them, whereas if I just got a cruddy job then 'buyer beware' is probably the rule and I'll have no real recourse. Have I been mistreated or genuinely screwed?

All,
    Thanks for your help. Barring the belief that I should go after these guys for some of my money back I'm hoping to address this myself if possible. I spent the day addressing door insulation and holes between the interior and attic including a 1' x 4" gap between my bathroom exhaust fan body and the ceiling-board/cross-members (my shower no longer fogs the mirrors where before it was over a foot of fog).

The consensus seems to be that I should address attic insulation next; should I be looking at the underside of the roof, or, the attic floor?

thanks much

The consensus seems to be that I should address attic insulation next; should I be looking at the underside of the roof, or, the attic floor?

Definitly the attic floor. Also make sure that your ducting is insulated. Don't know about the west coast, but here in the south east old heat only systems did not require duct insulation. Therefore, whenever we add a/c to a house, we either insulate or replace the ductwork.

good luck!!

[Edited by theredneckrev on 07-31-2005 at 03:32 PM]

To me the size of system is not a problem.
    Operation of system may be.
    Sounds to me like ductwork problem.
    Have new contractor determine ductwork possibilities.
    And as others have said, insulate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12