Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VisionPro

Originally posted by dx
    tpa-fi, I was liking your posts until that last one. You need to brush up on triacs. What do you think is inside of every dimmer in your house? That's 110v, not 24. And they switch on and off 120 times a second. Try to have a relay do that for 10 years. Ask Honeywell why they use relays. I'll bet you a beer they won't tell you triacs are unreliable.
    I have quite a few triac-based dimmers around the house...and yep, I end up having to replace at least one of them a year. Lutron, Leviton, doesn't matter, they still go out. Even the ETC Sensor modules fail, and those $$$. I do find it interesting that ETC's moving to inverter-based dimming and getting away from the triacs. Everything I've seen which is "mission critical" still uses relays.

[Edited by tpa-fl on 08-05-2005 at 09:33 AM]

hot mass

When you set the stat back think about this. Not only does your air temp rise. Everything in your home gets warmer. The furniture, the walls, the carpet, the dog, all get hotter. And you are asking an A.C. system to remove a pile of heat from this mass of materials, not just the air. well if your system is say a 24000 btu (2 ton)system it only removes 24000 btu per hour. A large set back allows a pile of btus to build up in all this mass. Lets make up a number 96000, well it will take 4 hours to remove this much heat plus all the heat entering the house while its removing this heat.

I vote for not setting it back too much unless its a 2 stage system able to pull the heat down rapidly with extra capacity.

Dont you just love this sight!
    Goodbyee stranger it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise! Hey it aint rocket science, "It's a Trade !"

To Sir, with , not

You've got your answer, started good side discussions and still have found room to ***** about those discussions not concerning you.
    Nice.

Stamas,

I just read over my last post, and you are right, I do sound like a bit of a twit. Sorry.

I was simply frustrated that everybody kept telling me that my setback was too large, or that I shouldn't bother, while completely ignoring my actual question, which was about the adaptive feature not working at all during cooling season.

That isn't an excuse, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

I really do enjoy reading this board, and the "Wall of Shame" is a hoot! (You don't have to be an HVAC tech to appretiate the true slack-off artistry of the hacks featured there!)

SirWired

The thermostat has a a parameter that sets how agressive the temperature recovery is. Setting parameter 0690 to 3 might help the situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123