Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

This statement does not apply to scientific theory.

Disclaimer: This point of clarification is not made by me for the sake of insult, intimidation, nor the arrogant dissemination of highfalutin hot air. It is merely meant to correct a misleading statement.
    This is scrogs discussion, not the discussion that has been going on it this thread. I thank you for pointing out my error in the use of theory as it pertains to scrogs input, however, I was not limiting my post content to only scientific theory.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    This is scrogs discussion, not the discussion that has been going on it this thread. I thank you for pointing out my error in the use of theory as it pertains to scrogs input, however, I was not limiting my post content to only scientific theory.
    Someone just reminded me that this is a science topic that should not be strayed from. But YOU should not be limited. Just the rest of us.

Interesting tap shoes you're wearing today.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Someone just reminded me that this is a science topic that should not be strayed from. But YOU should not be limited. Just the rest of us.

Interesting tap shoes you're wearing today.
    Now you have completely lost me. I just can't see that far out into left field. Make yourself useful while you are so far out there and pick the dandelions.

Now you have completely lost me.
    Yes, so I see. It is quite easy to understand exactly why you are... based on writings in another topic.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Back to power sources. Is there a technology that could replace the nuclear power plants in my corner of the world? I'm assuming it won't happen in my lifetime (especially if TMI has another meltdown), but do we have something in the pipeline that has actually proven itself to work as well if not better then the nuclear reactors we currently have?

Back to power sources. Is there a technology that could replace the nuclear power plants in my corner of the world? I'm assuming it won't happen in my lifetime (especially if TMI has another meltdown), but do we have something in the pipeline that has actually proven itself to work as well if not better then the nuclear reactors we currently have?
    Yes there is, but considering the mood here, I think its a waste of my time to discuss it in this forum.

But there is definatly something going on in the hydrogen product, whether its Pons and Fleishman, Black Light Power, a man named Rossi, or a guy that ran a vehicle on water who is ded now, or a guy racing drag boats on a hydrogen generator finding by mistake a power increase after a diode went bad on his alternator etc etc.

I've been wanting to do some experimenting on this subject, but just have too mant irons in the fire at this time, not too mention that after my second back operation, I'm almost crippled and I'm severly resticted in what I'm able to do.

But for sure there is something going on with hydrogen that is not yet understood by our science.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    But there is definatly something going on in the hydrogen product, whether its Pons and Fleishman, Black Light Power, a man named Rossi, or a guy that ran a vehicle on water who is ded now, or a guy racing drag boats on a hydrogen generator finding by mistake a power increase after a diode went bad on his alternator etc etc.
    All snake oil. Sorry.

There are improvements on the fission nuclear power design. In terms of a new energy source, fusion is probably the only "new" source out there that could really be used to generate power in larger quantities. However, it is pretty far off.

We have to do something. Current nuke plants make up about 20% of the power in the US. Most of these were built in the 70's and were originally licensed for 40 years. Most have or will apply to extend their life out to 60 years. What this means is that around 2035, most of these plants will go offline. We need to not only replace these (as well as other power plants that will go offline over the years), but also be able to cover the always increasing demand for electricity (which will really shoot up if a bunch of people buy electric cars to have "pollution-free" vehicles).

Nukes are really the only option right now for large power production in a small space. Also, one of the cheapest to run (coal and nuke are the cheapest in operating costs for fueled plants). Coal is difficult to build these days as people don't want them around (and could be expensive with a "carbon tax"). Nat. gas and oil are too expensive in most cases and usually only good for peak load. Solar and wind aren't practical on a large scale...you just need a ton of land to get even a fraction of what a normal coal/nuke plant will put out.

It sounds like we are better off putting our efforts into making currently used technology better rather then chasing after new technology that has yet to show any advantages.

From what I understand, there are currently over 100 existing permits for new and/or major upgrading of nuclear plants across the country. These permits would have been in the works for years, so it may be that while we are getting smoke blown up our butts by the media and political leaders, that these same political leaders are doing something with nuclear more quietly to offset the problems with fossil fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    All snake oil. Sorry.
    Yea you sorry all right, exactly what I was talking about..."wasting my time".

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Roy
    Not waste of your time, just my personal opinion, go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Roy
    We are discussing readily available energy, not possible but yet unproven energy. It is never a waste of time to discuss future possibilities, but for the moment, we need to rely on what is already proven and available.

We are discussing readily available energy, not possible but yet unproven energy. It is never a waste of time to discuss future possibilities, but for the moment, we need to rely on what is already proven and available.
    This is the best reply I could find about our nuclear energy fiasco, its a quote out of an article from Time, and the reason I have never supported it.....

Even before the earthquake-tsunami one-two punch, the endlessly hyped U.S. nuclear revival was stumbling, pummeled by skyrocketing costs, stagnant demand and skittish investors, not to mention the defeat of restrictions on carbon that could have mitigated nuclear energy's economic insanity. Obama has offered unprecedented aid to an industry that already enjoyed cradle-to-grave subsidies, and the antispending GOP has clamored for even more largesse. But Wall Street hates nukes as much as K Street loves them, which is why there's no new reactor construction to freeze. Once hailed as "too cheap to meter," nuclear fission turns out to be an outlandishly expensive method of generating juice for our Xboxes.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1MLJrqtC1

Roy

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast