Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Why I have to support nuclear power

On the very practical side of things, by looking at this map, I am located just under where the two orange circles intersect with the red circle. The orange circles are areas that are most affected during nuclear issues and the red circle is the "don't even bother running" area.

Then there is the fact that we will most probably, eventually run out of fossil fuels and compared to nuclear power, no current alternative is feasable;
    Natural gas. “Fracking has been able to proceed so rapidly only because it has been exempted from federal regulations governing air and water pollution.”
    Hydro power. “A hydroelectric dam must back up a 250-square-mile reservoir in order to generate the same electricity produced by a reactor on one square mile.”
    Wind energy. “Replacing just one of the two 1,000-megawatt reactors at Indian Point in Westchester County, N.Y., would require lining the Hudson River from New York to Albany with 45-story windmills one-quarter mile apart.”
    Solar energy. “It would take 20 square miles of highly polished mirrors or photovoltaic cells to equal the output of one nuclear reactor.”
    I also have a friend who has worked at as an electrical nuclear engineer at a nuclear power plant most of his life, having recently semi-retired to join the government at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I believe this friend when he tells me that most of the horrors about nuclear power are vastly overblown and that nuclear power plants are more safe then are other ways to obtain power.

Just to be on the safe side though, I have purchased enough tequila to drown my sorrows until death overtakes me in the case that TMI goes postal again.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

There is nothing wrong with nuclear power. the problem is, were using the wrong type..........

Short version...

Long version.....

enjoy

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I'm a nuke engineer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by KCA View Post
    Are you replying to me or the OP.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Either. Fusion, fission, other issues...

There's a lot of bad info out there on nuclear energy. I'd be happy to try to clear up any questions that you may have.

Have you watched the links I provided ???

Roy

Not yet. I'll take a look at them later. Got to run now.

Okay. Thorium fuel cycle. I figured that you might have been talking about fusion. Anyway, thorium has some advantages. However, everything is setup for a uranium cycle and there isn't really a problem with the uranium supply at this time. Not to mention, there is a ton of energy stored in the waste that has already been generated. The good stuff could be separated out and tossed back in to burn again.

Currently fuel is only a small % of the operating cost of the plant. Although it is somewhat expensive in terms of $$, about 1/3 of the core is changed out every 18-24 months where say a coal plant needs to be fed constantly, so refueling is infrequent.

In order to see a thorium cycle, there will have to big a massive increase in the price of uranium. There is nothing wrong with using thorium, but there isn't much incentive to use it since everything is already setup for uranium.

Since you are in VA, have you worked at the Calvert Cliffs facility?

Okay. Thorium fuel cycle. I figured that you might have been talking about fusion. Anyway, thorium has some advantages. However, everything is setup for a uranium cycle and there isn't really a problem with the uranium supply at this time. Not to mention, there is a ton of energy stored in the waste that has already been generated. The good stuff could be separated out and tossed back in to burn again.

Currently fuel is only a small % of the operating cost of the plant. Although it is somewhat expensive in terms of $$, about 1/3 of the core is changed out every 18-24 months where say a coal plant needs to be fed constantly, so refueling is infrequent.

In order to see a thorium cycle, there will have to big a massive increase in the price of uranium. There is nothing wrong with using thorium, but there isn't much incentive to use it since everything is already setup for uranium.
    Cool. I started this thread as a light hearted throw away thread just because I happened across that map. Looks like it has already turned into a learning thread. Since power is important to the HVAC industry, I suppose we in the industr should be paying more attention to it. If electricity winds up costing less to produce Btu's of heating and heat extraction then any other source, it will be again changing the way we in the HVAC industry operate.

Thank you guys, for making this thread more worthwhile then my intentions were for it to be.

How long do you have to store the waste before it is inert, or rather, not toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by can2man View Post
    How long do you have to store the waste before it is inert, or rather, not toxic.
    Evidently, according to what's happened in Japan, all we have to do is dump it into the ocean.

Either we have been duped big time about how dangerous radiation from nuclear reactors is when it is released or we are being duped as to how safe we are now that so much radioactive material has been dumped by the Japanese reactor. If the former, it is just another of many lies to keep us in a state of fear so we can be more easily controlled. If the latter, then we are being lied to in order to keep us from becoming uncontrollable due to a real danger. Either way, we have been manipulated big time about nuclear power.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    KCA, what do you think about the small modular units developed at Oregon State University?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast