Thread: Dryer vent question

Post Likes
    Figured someone here may be able to help me out.. We recently bought a house and are moving the wash/dryer location in the laundry room. I was wondering if it would be possible to run the dryer vent up in the wall.. There is a conditioned crawl space below and the hole for the vent to go out through the house is very close to where we are putting the dryer. Maybe 5-7 feet away..

I would rather not lose the 4 inches of space in bringing the vent up through the floor if I can avoid it, I would like to bring it up through the wall and use one of the dryerboxes that recesses in the wall. Then when you hook it up to the dryer it coils back around so you can get closer to the wall.

My questions are.. The other side of the wall is a garage, and it is only a 2x4 wall. The area to come up from the crawl space is kind of difficult and I am guessing the 4" pipe would have to be an oval shaped.

Here is a picture to show where I would like to go up.

That coil protecting the dryer powerline is on the outside of the drywall, the space I would have to go up the wall would be from the back of that coil minus 1/2" for the drywall. Which only leaves a space of about 2 1/2" to go up. Possible? And what is the best method if it is?

Thanks
    Last edited by HeyBob; 12-03-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Removed URL at O/P Request

Post Likes
    yea the company i work for does it all the time but they custom make the duct themselves for that application and it also has to have an accessable clean out

Post Likes
    yea,you can use 4" oval.If you need to connect any pieces together don't screw them together,tape them.Where the screws would come through the duct the lint would hang up there and eventually clog it up.

Post Likes
    So can I take a regular 4 pipe and just kind of bend it into an oval that is about 2 1/2 inches across so it will fit? The pipe needs to be an oval shape anyway to get into the dryer box up I the wall and it won't have to be oval shaped very long at all. Just enough to go up the floor and up the wall a little bit until it hits the dryer box.

Thanks again

Post Likes
    Just wondering if anyone could chime in on this, I need to run the line one way or another tomorrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Check the fyi section, there's an article on dryers in there
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    You can buy ovalized pipe...like already posted - do not screw joints-tape them

Post Likes
    Yeah, that's not too bad at all. Our dryer box's we make require us to oval the pipe to get it in the box. Can't recall exactly how much, but around 3" or just under sounds about right and we never have problems.

My vote is go for it, just oval as little as you can and for as short of a distance as you can and you'll be fine.

Post Likes
    I use 4" rd pipe. it squeeses good!

Post Likes
    Forgot what they're called, but some firm (maybe Oatey?)makes a dryer vent kit that recesses into stud a cavity. They have a nice finished look according to the photos I recall seeing. Obviously, not the thing to do on an exterior wall as you will lose some insulation effectiveness. If I don't forget, I'll do some research. Greg

Post Likes
    Greg,

Maybe you are thinking of the one I am going to use. The site is:

http://www.dryerbox.com

Recesses into the cavity and gives room for the flex pipe to coil back so you can push the dryer very close to the wall instead of leaving room for the pipe.

It will go on a garage wall, so I will lose a bit of insulation but I don't think that should be too bad.

As for the pipe, where do you get oval pipe? I tried to do a search and came up with nothing. Never seen the stuff either, I will most likely just end up squeezing some normal like arc8 said.. Just curious though.

Thanks again for all your help.

Post Likes
    That is exactly what I was referring to. We're planning on building next year so we'll look into using one- I like the looks. Thanks, Greg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in