mini split question

I知 converting my 3rd floor to living space, the radiators have long since been removed and there is no central air in my home. I live in Cincinnati, the summers are hot and humid, the winters are cold and dry. If I can稚 find a way to heat and cool the 3rd floor it will not really be livable space.

I am looking for a system that I can put in my attic that will deliver heating and cooling via mini duct. Does this exist? It does not necessarily have to be zoned but that would be nice. I知 not a big fan of the wall mounted ductless systems and I知 not sure how I would deal with a smaller bathroom with the wall mount. I did find ceiling recessed models but they are like $1,500 a pop, kind of pricy if I do three rooms, the bathroom and the hallway. This is why I was hoping for a mini duct system, plus I知 going to be in the attic and crawl space pulling wire anyway.

Would this use a heat pump?? Mini split?? VRV??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by morgan1 View Post
    I知 converting my 3rd floor to living space, the radiators have long since been removed and there is no central air in my home. I live in Cincinnati, the summers are hot and humid, the winters are cold and dry. If I can稚 find a way to heat and cool the 3rd floor it will not really be livable space.

I am looking for a system that I can put in my attic that will deliver heating and cooling via mini duct. Does this exist? It does not necessarily have to be zoned but that would be nice. I知 not a big fan of the wall mounted ductless systems and I知 not sure how I would deal with a smaller bathroom with the wall mount. I did find ceiling recessed models but they are like $1,500 a pop, kind of pricy if I do three rooms, the bathroom and the hallway. This is why I was hoping for a mini duct system, plus I知 going to be in the attic and crawl space pulling wire anyway.

Would this use a heat pump?? Mini split?? VRV??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Morgan
    Morgan,

Many of the mini-split manufacturers have heat pumps with ducted indoor units in addition to the commonly thought of ductless. I know that Daikin, Sanyo, Mitsubishi, and Fujitsu each have them. The ducted air handlers are physically quite small - making it easier to find a place to install it.

Make sure you have a load calc done on the space and the duct work designed using Manual D.