Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Humidity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37
    Another homeowner question....

    Is there any set standard for humidity reduction while running the AC?? Most of the posts I have seen related to humidity are when they system does not pull enough out. Can a system take too much humidity out?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,977
    If you wake up in the middle of the night with cotton mouth then you may be removing to much humidity.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37
    Good to know!

    And here I thought that was from drinking too much Crown Royal!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,927
    I think it is a personal thing.Most people are hung up on a number,like 50% and I dont understand it...I dont like it down that low.I dont like the temp below 76 either

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    697
    Humidity in the range of 50% to 60% seems to be the accepted "standard" for residential air conditioning. I guess that range is a good compromise of comfort and cost. You don't want it much above 60% because then you might turn your house into a mold farm. You don't want it too low because it costs money to reduce it. If you have asthma or some other respiratory problems humidity in the range of 30% to 40% may be recommended.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Originally posted by redcell
    Good to know!

    And here I thought that was from drinking too much Crown Royal!

    You are correct,and Gin is worse.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37

    Talking

    LOL

    I dunno...

    A little "Dr Bombay's Sapphire" every now and then is a GOOOOOOOOOOD thing!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,596
    Carpeting on concrete requires 50%RH in the air. Under the carpet, the temp is cooler,6-8 ^F. That makes the %RH 10-15% higher. 60%RH under the carpet is max. Also +60%RH grows dust mites. 50-55%RH ideal for summer. Winter should be low enough the avoid condensation on the inside of windows.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    962
    under normal conditions the answer to your question is no. A properly sized system works 70% on cooling the air and 30% removing the humidity. You would reach set temp before to much humidity was removed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    6,579


    Decreasing the airflow over the evaporator coil will increase the moisture removal. That is, more of the total system capacity is devoted to removing grains of water vapor from the air. This is called the sensible heat factor.

    A sensible heat factor of 1.0 means no moisture is being removed. All the capacity is used to remove sensible heat and lower the air temperature. A lower sensible heat factor such as .75 means that 75% of the system's total capacity is removing sensible heat and the other 25% is dehumidifying.

    The sensible heat factor can be manipulated by changing the airflow or fan speed. Newer systems using ECM supply fan motors often have speed adjustments and/or humidity adjustment which vary the airflow to match the dehumidification needs of the home.

    There is a need to limit how low the airflow is allowed to go so as to protect the compressor from liquid floodback.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    249
    Originally posted by teddy bear
    Carpeting on concrete requires 50%RH in the air. Under the carpet, the temp is cooler,6-8 ^F. That makes the %RH 10-15% higher. 60%RH under the carpet is max. Also +60%RH grows dust mites. 50-55%RH ideal for summer. Winter should be low enough the avoid condensation on the inside of windows.

    Get real,hundreds of homes with carpeting ,vapor seal under the slab, in Florida with slabs and no problems,do you sell something???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event