Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Never trust a disconnect

Never trust a disconnect- always use your meter.

Just a reminder. I found this today on a commercial W/I cooler condensing unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Ran into the same scenario a couple weeks ago. Some jerk bypassed the disconnect. Isn't it required to replace a bad one if there's no way to shut the unit down from the roof? I told them they need a new one but I don't know for sure that it ever got done.

I found one that was wired wrong..the main feed wires from the breaker were coming in the bottom of the fuses and the load wires were coming out the top. So if you switched the disconnect off your fuses were still hot. Not good if you had to replace a fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    I found one that was wired wrong..the main feed wires from the breaker were coming in the bottom of the fuses and the load wires were coming out the top. So if you switched the disconnect off your fuses were still hot. Not good if you had to replace a fuse.
    Hate that. Causes gray hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    Never trust a disconnect- always use your meter.

Just a reminder. I found this today on a commercial W/I cooler condensing unit.
    Safety first Guys & Gals.

Always Check Never ASSUME!

There are alot of Hacks in this bussiness unfortunately! You never know who worked on that unit an what they BYPASSED or CONTINUELY reset. When I open the circuit on a disconnect, I at least always push in all contactors. I work on familiar equipment as well. So I know the guys that have been there before me. But you should always use your meter....It just might save your LIFE!.....And that my fellow Brethren is worth it!

I wish i had the animated gif of Hitler from Inglorious Basterds yelling "Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!"

It would go perfect here.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

I found a residential unit (on a roof) straight wired in the Disconnect. I pulled the disconnect then pushed the contactor in with a Sharpie. Vrooooom, running!
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Thumbs up

Never trust a unit service swith either.... or that the water is off, or the king valve is off either !!!!

Wow thats scary. Makes you ask what tech in their right mind???? A few years ago I "assumed" on a three pole disconnect. I still had one leg hot from the broken switch, I will never make that mistake again. The rule I go with now is that "if its not dead, you are".

This 277 leg will bit ya too, always verify!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WTH........Doesn't anybody use the old 7/8" ACR 'slow-blow' fuses anymore!!??

Just kiddin'
    "The problem is the average person isnt tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and its not in the movies they watch, and its not in the few books that they buy, they dont get it" - Jack Canfield

I was working on a 600v rooftop rtu and I somehow flicked one of those chinsey disconnects with my knee when I was checking the fan capacitor. Luckily no load. Reminder that you can become a conductor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast