I have a SideShot SS1 installed on a Weil-McClain oil burner. The setup is about 2 1/2 years old. About a year ago the SS1 would run for extended periods of time (1-2hours) before shutting down. About a month ago, it would not stop running. After a full 24 hours I called our oil service company. They tinkered with it and eventually wanted to replace the universal control circuit board. However, it suddenly started working fine so we left it. After a month, it's starting to run for hours at a time again.

We get some rain coming into the vent from the outside but they tell me not to worry about that.

Should I try replacing the UC1 board? Does rain hurt the SS1? There does not seem to be any water damage to the UC1. I was thinking the prover switch might be affected by the water. Should I try replacing this first?

Thanks.

Smile

i have had a defective delay timer on the circuit board from those units right out of the box.

best thing to do is replace it.
    Here's your sign...

Thanks for the reply jeffcdntech. I've just ordered a new UC1 and will let you know how it works out.

BTW, is the rain infiltration through the vent hood, through the plenum and down the vent pipe an issue?

Appreciate the advice.

Bob

myself i have not had any issues with rain getting into the vent hood or into the flue piping.

the only dificulty apart from the failed timer on the board, has been corroded hardware on the vent cover when trying to remove it to clean/inspect the motor and blower wheel on a cleanout...always on the coldest days too.
    Here's your sign...

Now correct me if im wrong but the SS1 is for Natural gas applications and the SS2 is for oil.

COre

According to the Tjernlund web site (http://www.tjernlund.com/oilsidewall.htm), the only difference between the SS1 and SS2 is capacity. Both can be used with oil and gas.

BTW, my Sideshot mysteriously started working again although weather does seem to effect the fan's run time. I ordered a new UC1 and will keep it for when the unit flakes out the next time. Probably in the middle of a cold winter night. ;o)

Bob

Hello Poconobob

Yes I double checked the website to and you are right. But I would like to tell you shortly after installing an SS2 the printed circuit board malfunctioned an internal relay would not close. I sent it back under warrenty and much to my suprise the new board was a revamped version thats is sold as the "Universal board" I believe they had a rash of bad boards. Something you may want to look into.

My problem was all the LED where on but the fan would not start.

Hope this helps

Core