Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My builder puts all of the AC units in the development on these metal arms/mounts. I asked my AC guy where they get them from (ie, are the custom, made on site, etc). The AC folks didn't know...they just plop the unit on top if it (it is there when they get there). I asked the electrical folks, the framing folks, and even the super. Nobody knows where they get them. Must be magic and they just appear! I called the corp office for my builder a week ago to ask who puts them on the homes because I want 3 or 4 of them.

Here is a picture of arms/supports on the house going up next to mine (mine are partly underground due to final grading and you can only see the top part the the unit is actually sitting/mounted to).

I am installing a standby generator next to my AC units and wanted to have everything look the same. Would rather set the generator ontop of a couple sets of these then put down a pad and make it look different then the AC unit installtion.
    http://www.alexjanis.com/mounts.jpg

Kinda looks like they were made at a welding shop.

FWIW...the one on the far side of the shot has a UPS Bar Code on it. Although that could be for the raw materials, but it could also be for the mounts as shown.

I check the Orange and Blue box (Home Depot and Lowes) and they had nothing even close. They had the material to make something like these...but I don't have the tools to make it from raw materials.

I am checking Granger now...

They were custom made and I wouldn't have anything that could transfer vibration to the foundation or wall.

Originally posted by James 3528
    They were custom made and I wouldn't have anything that could transfer vibration to the foundation or wall.

Good point...the genset will probably vibrate a bit more then an AC unit...maybe a slab is the best way to go...

When the inspector came out to check my initial electical and gas pipe work he said slab or the arm things would both be fine to set the generator on...but I had not thought about vibration.

[Edited by aejanis on 07-29-2005 at 10:26 AM]

It is shop made. Anyone marketing something like that would need a dozen variations at that height and would have at least primed it.

You can tell that those are shop fabricated but I have seen the ones all over that look like 2" conduit bent at a 90 and bolted to the wall.

Originally posted by James 3528
    It is shop made. Anyone marketing something like that would need a dozen variations at that height and would have at least primed it.
    I did prime and paint the ones on my house to match the color of the siding. (Which also matches the AC unit...with is the tan Lennox color).

Looks like I am just going to go with a pad...off to go call JULIE (under ground cable finder folks) so I can dig out the area that the pad will go (Code requires that it be 4inches thick if it doesn't have footers).

those are sold at supply houses around here. those brackets are pretty common. around $35 if i remember right. they didn't seem to transfer any vib or noise on the few i have used.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

rubobornot Guest
    I have made those from uni-strut and fittings that allow you to bolt everything together with spring nuts

Originally posted by rubobornot
    spring nuts

Huh huh!!! He said "spring nuts" !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mattm
    Originally posted by rubobornot
    spring nuts

Huh huh!!! He said "spring nuts" !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, numb nuts.

I make them myself. A Roper-Whitney angle notcher, a drill press, and a welder. I spray paint them to a dark grey hammered finish with "hard hat" spray paint. Looked at a set I made about 8 years ago- still look new. That paint is really some good stuff.

I have seen those brackets at the supply house and after install from a drive-by point of view. A lot of them in use around here, a few with plastic pad between bracket and unit. I don't care for the idea of metal unit just sitting on metal bracket with nothing holding the two together unless somebody is drilling through that angle to get a couple screws or bolts in. I doubt anyone is doing that 'cause they are in to big a hurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast