Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My home protection is my ak-47 even though I have a shotgun.

seriously? an AK for home defense? How close is your nearest neighbor? How many walls do you think a 7.62x39 will penetrate?

start with this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/

it's a practical look at ammo penetration, among a lot of other good information.

for home defense your only concern should be reliability, period?

Remington and Mossberg have the longest history of reliability. And I would go with a 12 or 20ga with 000 buck to keep penetration to a minimum and still have enough energy to knock down an assailant.

Do you have children in the home? whats your plan if someone tries to break in? Do you have a rally point, or are you and the wife going to retreat to the kids room? whats your plan if the kids panic?

as far as "attachments" goes? Flash suppressors. Pistol grips, extended tubes? are all a waste without the knowledge and willingness to practice and defend yourself and family members.

What I'm talking about is the possibility of you shooting a Gang member, if you shoot one, you better be prepared to move out of town. Because the retaliation will be unrelenting.

You have many things to think about, good luck.
    Good luck with your choice:
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Exactly... Ak is the most reliable weapon in the world. I have a brick exterior. My first line of defense is my live alarm... The chihuahua. 2nd line of defense is my pitbull. 3rd line of defense is home alarm to alert authorities. And a rally point??? Seriously? Unless you live in a 5000+ sq ft house, how are you going to have a chance to rally anywhere once the intruder enters? We live in a 2400sq ft house no time to rally but lock and load.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    Exactly... Ak is the most reliable weapon in the world. I have a brick exterior. My first line of defense is my live alarm... The chihuahua. 2nd line of defense is my pitbull. 3rd line of defense is home alarm to alert authorities. And a rally point??? Seriously? Unless you live in a 5000+ sq ft house, how are you going to have a chance to rally anywhere once the intruder enters? We live in a 2400sq ft house no time to rally but lock and load.
    ok? good luck
    BEING AN ADULT

I don't live in the ghetto or anywhere close; I live in a nice neighborhood. I highly doubt anyone will ever break into our house, but there is always a chance. We even leave the doors unlocked when we are not home. Once people hear the pitbull they get scared especially when I come to the door and she is standing right there with me people freak out. Only bullets shot out of my guns will be found in the target. I dont need a shotgun to make sure I hit my target or accidentally kill someone else from a stray. I am very comfortable with my shooting and I live in texas lol. Used to go to the gun range weekly
    Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 05-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.

hey, if your comfortable with a AK, fine.

But 90% of the people out there are not good with firearms. Recommending an AK to someone that is not practiced with firearms is not a good idea, especially in an Urban area.

I live in a city, my neighbors are 16' on either side of me. And 150' front and back. I'm fairly confident my neighbors are going to be a wee-bit annoyed with a 762x39 flying through through home at 3am.

MY other problem is, I live in NY, this state is still under the 1994 assault weapons ban. Yep, you heard that right. We can own AK's, AR-10, AR-15's and so on. But we have to be real careful what accouterments we add to a "assualt weapon"

But to get back on topic. Use caution when recommending a home defense firearm to someone who might not be as familiar with weapons.

I am a IPSC shooter. I reload and I shoot every week (except the last 2 months when the damn roof on the club caved in because of snow load ) so I am very familiar with firearms.
    BEING AN ADULT

I agree with you... When recommending a home defense gun a shotgun with #4 shot is best. Especially to those who arent "gun saavy". I'll stick to whatever I can grab fastest. My 9mm or AK. Everything else is locked up in our closet. I like my 9 over a 45 for several reasons. A few: less recoil, more rounds, and quicker to fire. 16 rounds in one clip. Not bragging, but with my aim a 9mm will do just as much damage as a 45. DEAD. Especially at cqb ranges such as in a house.

We have a springfield 9 next to the bed, but any shotgun will do. It doesnt have to be sawed off or pistol grip, just your plain old shotgun will do for home defense. I would recommend a pump and a modified barrel. a modified barrel will spread your shot to cover more area. Bottom line point and pull and you're bound to hit whatevers on the other end.

I live near the hood... between the hood and the downtown area.

Lot of unsavory characters go by here at all times of the day....

On the two occasions we have actually had someone try to get in the house....Luckily I was awake.... turning on a light scared them off.

Of course with people being on meth and stuff these days.....and people basically being more desperate I worry that one night someone might come in.

Hope it never happens......because I know the way the courts are that I, as a victim, would be under much more scrutiny than a "sick" drug addict coming in to kill for 20 dollars.

Id rather use a typical shotgun than an ak or some other type of "assault" weapon....due to the chance of getting an anti gun pro "those people are just sick" jury.
    May Allah Guide Us Towards The Right Path and move us towards a better understanding of Allah and Allahs Creation.

Rossi Coach gun. 18 1/2" side by side. I agree with smaller shot. Less chance of an unintended hit in another room
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

870 with a police barrel that my dad gave me

Quote Originally Posted by cmp240 View Post
    870 with a police barrel that my dad gave me
    WTH is a "police barrel"

do you mean a Breech barrel?

this is my home defense firearm:

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/MO...berg%20blk.jpg
    BEING AN ADULT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast