Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Home protection shotty

I am looking at home protection shotguns. I am more comfortable with one over a side arm with most my teen and early 20's with my fathers old one cradled in my arms as i walk threw the woods.

Anyone have one just for home protection? Good barrel length? Gauge? Load out?

Mossberg 88 pistol grip, 12 ga, 00 buck, 3" magnum, 1 in the pipe, 5 in the slide
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

taurus magnum judge revolver. shoots .410 x 3 shot shell, or 45lc. more better to manuever in tight quarters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Remington 870 express, pistol grip with top folding buttstock. All I need is the legal limit barrell.

OR you can go to a shop that sells NFA weapons. Roughly 500 bucks, you can get a short barrel shotgun (I mean REAL short. Commonly called a saw'd off shotgun.), and apply for you tax stamp (which makes it legal), which is another roughly 300.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

KEL TEC bull pup. 14 + 1. Its only 26ish inches long total but its not a "sawed off" gun.

dandyme.....

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    Mossberg 88 pistol grip, 12 ga, 00 buck, 3" magnum, 1 in the pipe, 5 in the slide
    .....Wholly mackerel , you expecting the whole hells angels gang to show up at your house ?, you could take on al-quida with that firepower.....
    B[COLOR=a friend is one who knows us , but loves us anyway

I would purchase an older hunting shotgun, pump or auto....no pistol grip or foldng stock or any other add ons.....Just a basic hunting shotgun that someone would take hunting.

Use ammo...I like 4 shot.....that is typically used for hunting.

Looks better on you if you ever have to use it....which you hopefully and probably wont ever have to do.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

My home defense shot gun,
    http://www.impactguns.com/maverick-a...533310460.aspx
    #6 shot.... it stays in the room

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I would purchase an older hunting shotgun, pump or auto....no pistol grip or foldng stock or any other add ons.....Just a basic hunting shotgun that someone would take hunting.

Use ammo...I like 4 shot.....that is typically used for hunting.

Looks better on you if you ever have to use it....which you hopefully and probably wont ever have to do.
    thats what I was originally leaning towards except with a 18" barrel. I dont want it to stick out like a sore thumb. I will say the pistol grip and folding stock does look bad ass I am looking at pump actions..just the sound of a chamber being loaded is a universal "get the F- out".

Pumps are more reliable than Semi Auto's. You can get a 24 inch barrel for all shotguns and it will serve a dual purpose...Hunting and home defense, and it doesn't look like you were gunning for somebody when the police show up afterwards.
    4 to 6 shot will do the trick for the most part. I think I remember reading that the FBI recommends #4 BUCK (not #4 shot)for home defense. It will not penetrate as far into walls as the larger buck and is still powerful enough to "hurt" somebody.
    Even though I am a huge Browning fan I would recommend a Remington or Mossy for home use and normally cheaper.

Good Luck
    Enno

i have an old side by side coach with twin hammers and triggers.
    2 3/4" 00 buck
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Remington 870 Express. Cheap and reliable

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    Remington 870 Express. Cheap and reliable
    I have beat the crap out of my 870.

It just won't quit working.

Am thinking about a new 870 so I can build a dedicated home protection gun with pistol grip stock and a few other gadgets.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast