Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate spiders.

Saw a really cool spider in Charlotte last week.

(Hah! No Charlotte's Web pun intended).

Including the legs, it was about 3" in diameter and it's back was covered in a rainbow of color on basic black. If I see one again I'll post a picture.

I watch out for the Black Widows, it's the little Fiddle-Backs (Brown Recluse) that you don't see until you're bit. Bad stuff!

I love spiders, whats wrong with you all? They are harmless for the most part, I'd leave them in the house if all the girls would let me. I get the furry black jumping spiders here and let them jump from finger to finger in front of my girls. When I was a boy I used to go to the felds by my house and catch all those big orb web building spiders and bring them home. I had collections of all kinds, jumping, orb web, ground. Ya know whitch ones will bite you every time, crab spiders, but they are usually so small the bites are not painfull. One thing I used to do with those big orb web spiders is grab them by their bodies and hold them and watch them fold over to try to bite me but they bite their own bodies and kill themselves. Another thing I liked to do is find any kind of insect and throw it into their orb web and watch them wrap it up and bite it to death.

Just read the entire bit complete with pictures of festering wounds from the bites of Brown Recluse Spiders.

Outside of being torn apart from a grizzly bear, this is one bad ass bug!!!!

I got the mini-mag lite out... and scouring every nook and flippin' cranny!

Every twitch and itch has me hangin' from the flippin' chandelere!!!
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Originally posted by John(Chicago)
    I love spiders, whats wrong with you all? They are harmless for the most part, I'd leave them in the house if all the girls would let me. I get the furry black jumping spiders here and let them jump from finger to finger in front of my girls. When I was a boy I used to go to the felds by my house and catch all those big orb web building spiders and bring them home. I had collections of all kinds, jumping, orb web, ground. Ya know whitch ones will bite you every time, crab spiders, but they are usually so small the bites are not painfull. One thing I used to do with those big orb web spiders is grab them by their bodies and hold them and watch them fold over to try to bite me but they bite their own bodies and kill themselves. Another thing I liked to do is find any kind of insect and throw it into their orb web and watch them wrap it up and bite it to death.
    You have always cracked me up Johnny. Man you're still messed up You still have my e-mail address?

Read somewhere that everybody swallows between 200 and 300 spiders in their sleep over their lifetime. Lovely thought.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

There are a lot of things I read I don't believe. 8 to 10, tops.

Looks like your boat might be next on her agenda. Don't they normally seek prey with good jobs, boats, nioe house...... oh, are we still talking spiders here?

John(Chicago)
    Professional Member

I love spiders, whats wrong with you all?

yea I would love to see you do that jumping finger act with a widow or a recluse, or even grab one by the legs while it trys to bite you, can you post pics of that stage act?

I have a horrible fear of spiders... When I was about 12 years old, I spent the night at a friend's house and she put her pet tarantula on me while I was sleeping. I woke up (to the sound of her giggles) with the thing sitting on my chest. Needless to say, I experienced a "paralyzed in fear" moment. I couldn't move, I couldn't scream... (And I didn't speak to her after that for a LONG time!)

I actually have spider nightmares, and I wake up screaming and throwing the covers around trying to get the spider out of the bed. It's kind of funny, but it scares the crap out of me when it happens!

I'd rather play with a snake than a spider any day! :-)

(John in Chicago, you are one crazy guy! Reading your post gave me the chills!)

Imagine how long it would have been before she ever spoke to you, if you (in a paniced state) squashed her pet tarantula out of fear.

A dumb move on her part. Actually.

Originally posted by ricm
    Imagine how long it would have been before she ever spoke to you, if you (in a paniced state) squashed her pet tarantula out of fear.

A dumb move on her part. Actually.

================================================== =======

Right-ee-o, ricm. Somebody does that to me and they have a dead spider on their hands, pet or no pet.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Squash something the size of my hand! No way! With my luck, the guts would have squirted in my mouth! LOL

Actually, I have a hard time squashing bugs of any sort. The sound makes me want to throw up! To help me combat this issue, my ex-husband bought me a device called a "bug wand". Basically, it is a hand-held mini vacuum with a really long tube which allows you to suck up the bug without touching or squashing it. It has a cap that fits on the end of the tube so that you trap the bug inside. It sounds silly, but it was a very helpful tool!

kgouker - We ALL have our fears. Like some people who are afraid of heights.... I'm afraid of widths. (Steve Wright)

I try to avoid killing insects, etc... Nature needs 'em to feed the birds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast