Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wouldnt think it would be to hard to pinpoint, hope they do figure it out for you soon

That noise is not the fan!!!!! That sound is a Copland compressor plates rattling. if the charge is correct and the other unit is OK and it's in the attic space also with no noise then the compressor has a weak spring that holds the top plate down and until it runs for a very short time it rattles and settles in and runs the cycle OK then starts over again the next time the unit starts up. Start up the fan and the compressor separately and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    On an attic coil, it's best to loop the suction line UP as it comes out of the coil past the top of the coil then go down outside. That can stop liquid in the coil from flowing by gravity down to the compressor during the off cycle. If neither are this way, that might not be what's happening. Hard to say. Certainly ain't a happy compressor when it starts. Looping up doesn't stop it, maybe strapping a crankcase heater on would help. Covering may lower the sound but doesn't help the damage the slugging can cause.
    I went up in the attic to check. Both large and small tube are looped up on the upstairs unit which works great. The downstairs unit the small tube is looped up, but not the larger tube. It's parallel for a bit and then drops down.
    Should I have the tech loop it up? I am afraid to do it as I might break it

Sounds like the problem. If the upstairs unit has the suction line looped up (trapped) and that unit comes on quietly but the downstairs unit isn't looped and noisy, I bet that is it. Suggest they do it like the upstairs unit is and see what happens. May have to pump the charge into the outdoor unit and open the system and re-braze things back up.

Info

Hello,

About turning off the 'other' unit to hear more clearly - those small boxes on the wall behind each unit is the power turn off location. Within there is a piece which by grabbing the handle you can pull out to remove power from the unit. It easily can be placed back when your trouble-shooting is done.

Beware of advice that has the words - 'my guess'. If one does not know for sure it is always better to say NOTHING! You do NOT want to be the reason for causing someone to lose money or cause even more to go wrong. Additionally 'IF' you call in a PRO - then say I think the problem is (blank) because the guy on the internet says so (ummm a guy that is NOT there, har har har) the service-person may spend time on something that may not be the problem at all but YOU will pay for that service-persons time.

Nice to want to 'help' but think before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph2010 View Post
    Hello,

About turning off the 'other' unit to hear more clearly - those small boxes on the wall behind each unit is the power turn off location. Within there is a piece which by grabbing the handle you can pull out to remove power from the unit. It easily can be placed back when your trouble-shooting is done.

Beware of advice that has the words - 'my guess'. If one does not know for sure it is always better to say NOTHING! You do NOT want to be the reason for causing someone to lose money or cause even more to go wrong. Additionally 'IF' you call in a PRO - then say I think the problem is (blank) because the guy on the internet says so (ummm a guy that is NOT there, har har har) the service-person may spend time on something that may not be the problem at all but YOU will pay for that service-persons time.

Nice to want to 'help' but think before you do.
    My guess is that this issue has already been resolved

Just run the fan for a few seconds and then the compresser the same. Have moved the fan up and down just a little on the motor shaft and fixed the problem. Check that fan hub. Also the set screw.
    Blue Fox

My suggestion was going to be what dunkman said - Process of elimination, run the fan with out the compressor and vice-versa. That will solve the “which one” scenario. Sure sounds like a refrigerant issue from here (either over charge or migration – slugging is slugging). I agree with BadLoonie about the loop in the line. How far in elevation difference is the outdoor unit from the indoor unit in the attic?

Uh...can you pro's please comment on which sound is abnormal in the video? There are two very distinct and different sounds that occur back to back, each one about one second long. The first sounds like mine does, a lower growl/vibrating sound, followed quickly by the second sound which is more of a high-frequency metallic noise.

Are BOTH of these sounds abnormal/unhealthy, or mostly only the second one ??

The issue has not been resolved yet. I am still trying to get the Service folks to return my call! The added difficulty is that the noise doesn't always occur. So if the fan is unhooked, it may not make the noise vice versa.

I will post what fixed the issue when that occurs. My concern is what kind of toll is this taking on the compressor if it is indeed the compressor making the noise which I believe it is.

Did you ever figure out what's going on? I have a Lennox unit making what I believe to be a similar noise. Like your situation, only on the downstairs outside unit and not the upstairs one.

Thank you.

Sounds a lot like the fan blade is just barely hitting some metal on start up. I'd look for tell-tale fresh scratches along where it could be happening & on the edges of the fan blades themselves. Maybe knicking the wire harness.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Still no resolution after two fan replacements and a compressor replacement. Albeit the noise is not near as loud, my fear is over time it will lead to another compressor failure. The last one eventually stopped cooling. Cause: metal shavings from compressor had clogged coil screen.

Next step is to contact Lennox Consumer Affairs as the current service folks aren't able to find a resolution to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gdinero View Post
    Did you ever figure out what's going on? I have a Lennox unit making what I believe to be a similar noise. Like your situation, only on the downstairs outside unit and not the upstairs one.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast