Thread: Lennox/Bryant?

I am looking for a gas heat and air conditioning system and live in Pennsylvania. My house is 55 yrs old. I posted earlier about a lennox system and I received useful info. In my continuing saga, I had another contractor come through. I was wondering about anyone's thoughts about Lennox's reliabilty compared with Bryant. The lennox system included a furnace (G60UHV-60C-110) and coil (HS-26-36). The Bryant quote includes furnace (315AAV036070) and coil(CK 3BXA036017/CE3AXA036). Both are two stage, variable speed heat with 13-14 seer units.

My latest quote includes an Aeroseal injection system to seal the ductwork. Does anyone know anythning about this stuff? The quote including the Aeroseal is lower than the Lennox quote. Any suggestions?

I also heard that going with a 90% gas unit could be detrimental to a house chimney as condensate can accumulate during the winter with the operation of a gas water heater only. Evidently, the flue temp drops way down only using the water heater, which makes sense.

both brands are good. i personaly like the lennox more. verry few problems w/that model. the aroseal works well to seal the ducts from the inside. you do have to go around and help it along with the larger holes and cracks.the cost is suprising we do airoseal's for quite a bit, i would look closer at your contracts. as for the w/h if a chimny liner is instaled and sized corectly you shouldnt have a condensate problem. you can insulate the liner with a fire rated insulater. you also have to factor in flue diamiter, hight of chimny. is it on a outside wall? your instaler should turn to the gama venting table for these ansers. good luck.

thanks

Unless I'm reading something incorrectly and that does happen once in a while. The Bryant 315AAV is not a 90% furnace and therefore will not be vented via PVC piping. It is a variable speed/ two-stage furnace. I'm not up on the newer Lennox models, so it's a guess for me what that model is without research. Bryant 355MAV is a two-stage variable speed 90+ furnace. The 315AAV is compatible with Evolution/Infinity control system. I did not see which condensor models your were considering. I have no familiarity with the duct sealing you mentioned, but would like to see some data and information on it. Thanks- Greg

Yes, both systems are 80%, variable speed. The hot water heater vent issue for the direct vent was raised during a recent conversation with a sales person.

You can find info on Aeroseal on the web. It was the first time I had heard of it also. Evidently it is energy stared and acceptable by the EPA.

How old is your water heater.

If its near the end of its life span, get a new one that is direct vent, and go with 90% furnace.

A 90% can save alot, depending on your supplier.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Water heater is about 4 years old. Isn't a direct vent water heater about double a standard. The increase in cost of the 90 % furnace and the additional water heater cost + installation sure does reduce the cost/benefit of going this route.

Thats why I asked the age of the water heater.

What type of liner does the chimney have, If any.

Most of the homes in lancaster don't have a liner, there just brick and mortar, which isn't allowed. So when we change a furnace, we have to line the chimney even for an 80% furnace.
    Contractor locator map

I think it is lined with terra cotta.

Does anyone know of any calculations for heating systems. my house is a front-to-back split and approximately 1900 SF. The front half of the house is slab on grade with the back overlting a crawl space. I have two quotes for a 80 % unit. The quoted Bryant and Lennox HVAC units are similar in price, however the combined two stages differ by approximately 30,000 BTU.

Click the bulls eye at the top of the page, and you can do your own load calc.

Teracotta is not an approved chimney liner for gas( it has motar joints ), it needs to be lined.
    Contractor locator map