Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bike

I'm in trouble now. Yesterday I finalized a trade with a close friend of mine. I traded him my old "but still looks and runs like new" OZ 2000, a CPS leak detector, a Fluke clamp meter, digital thermometer, CO/Combustible leak detector, an old Robinair vac pump, 2 recovery tanks. For a 82' Honda CB900. It looks like a brand new bike. I need to get a new battery and do some fine tuning on it but it's mine now. I'll post some pictures soon. Do any of you guys know anything about this bike??

You're gonna break your neck on that thing.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I've owned a '73 CB750, '74 CB450, and '75 CB550. I believe the CB900 is just a CB750 variant. The thing to watch out for on the early 80's bikes are charging systems. I had a friend with an '82 CB750 and he junked it because the stator/rectifier cost more than the bike was worth. Hopefully your dead battery isn't an omen.

A CB 900 is probably an $800 bike if it is really nice. They don't have much collector value because they are too new. That doesn't mean it won't be a good mount though.

Originally posted by dave and julie
    The thing to watch out for on the early 80's bikes are charging systems. I had a friend with an '82 CB750 and he junked it because the stator/rectifier cost more than the bike was worth. Hopefully your dead battery isn't an omen.
    That would be my luck. If I have the bike running what voltage should I read at the battery?? Maybe 8 volts or what??

I've been lucky with all of my Hondas for the most part. Just regular maintenence is pretty much all I have ever had to do.

I don't know for your model specifically, but in general bikes won't charge at idle. So at idle you may get less than 12 volts. Somewhere around 2000rpm you should start to see over 12 volts. The old CL360 twins had to be around 4000rpm to keep the battery charged. In those days bikes still had on off switches for headlights so I guess they figured you didn't need much in the generator department. Even my modern CBR's don't charge at idle.

Get a Clymer's manual for your CB, it will come in very handy.

is it blue/purple with a silver stripe?

get anew batt,plugs, air filter, oil filter/oil and get carbs cleaned/synch'ed and go like hell.

[Edited by tinner73 on 07-29-2005 at 04:11 PM]
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I'm guessing then Matt, with you trading off all those tools, you are either retiring from the trade, or have gone cwazy and want to relive those days of Fonda on a Honda, Hopper on his Chopper days....

As mentioned... get the Clymer manual for this model. Remember though, some of the Clymer manuals cover your model over a period of maybe six or so years... and some of the pics will show you what the ignition looks like, but some years were slightly different, and minor changes might not be shown. It's frustrating on my old Shovelhead Harley... but by now, I know the machine fairly well, and don't refer to the pictures anymore.

Don't bother with the factory manual... Clymer is best.

You'll have your knees in the breeze and bugs in your teeth in no time!
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Hmm

You have to be kidding! I'll pray for you! Roy

Originally posted by ricm
    I'm guessing then Matt, with you trading off all those tools, you are either retiring from the trade, or have gone cwazy and want to relive those days of Fonda on a Honda, Hopper on his Chopper days....
    No way am I getting out. Those are duplicates of upgraded tools that I use. Didn't you see one of them was a CPS leak detector? Ugh that was my 1st leak detector. I now use a Bachrac Informant II. It takes the place of the halo detector and the co/combustable one.

And yes I have went crazy.

Oh.... I still have a CPS leak detector.....

errr....

But changing the subject... Keep the riding magic alive!!!
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Twenty bucks says this thing has a sissy bar.

All ya need is a leather jacket that says, Born To Ride.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

With all the idiots on the roads these days, sometimes I don't even feel safe in my trucky poo.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast