Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I recently had installed an TWE031E13F (31,000 btu) Trane variable speed air handler (AC only)with a Trane XL14i 2.5 ton compressor. It is great, but I needed to know if anyone who is familar with the Dip switches in the air handler can tell me if the factory setting of switches 1-4 (which control blower speed based on tonnage size according to the manual), in the all OFF position is optimal for my tonnage? The manual says to look on the label on the blower housing,but the service panel is on and I dont want to disturb it if I dont have to. I think the installer said he left switchs 1-4 all off (factory setting), but I want to be sure that is where they belong for a 2.5 ton system. Thanks in advance for any info.Great message board by the way.

Angry Are you licensed to make repairs?

1)
    2)System tonnage
    3)
    4)System cfm

5)
    6)Time Delay-Enhanced Mode

7)
    8) Heating Cfm settings

Note these settings should only be set by Trane technician and NOT homeowner.
    Could do damage to system if not done properly..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Thanks for the reply.

7+8 are off (not used)

5+6 are ON for Comfort "R" to be enabled

1-4 are all OFF. Can you tell me if 1-4 being off is what they should be based on my setup?

I don't plan on making any adjustments, but I would like to know if they are set right just by looking at them. Thanks in advance

1-4 off means your set up for 3 ton currently at 400 cfm/ton, switch 1 should be on, 2,3,4 off for 2 1/2 ton 400 cfm/ton, call your installer back to verify the settings and correct as needed

Thanks alot. I will be calling him back to change/check his settings.

Will there be any problems with running it the way the dip switches are now (1-4 off) on a 2.5 ton system?

[Edited by rc_crfan on 07-29-2005 at 09:43 AM]

While your service person is there correcting the dip switch settings, ask him if there is a jumper between Y and O, or R and O at the control board in the air handler.

The O terminal needs to be powered in the cooling mode for Comfort-R to work correctly.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I had the same problem...just had some people over to figure out a humidity problem in the upstairs and I remembered that 1-4 dip switches on my Trane 2.5 ton were also all off because I already had the tech come back to turn on comfort-R dip switches. They figured it was blowing too much by calculating the CFM at the return when it was running. I can't believe that 1. the tech didn't read the manual and 2. that Trane would leave them in the 450cfm mode from the factory. Going to have tech back next week to reduce speed and hopefully the air will be drier and colder now!

Originally posted by newhomeboston
    I had the same problem...just had some people over to figure out a humidity problem in the upstairs and I remembered that 1-4 dip switches on my Trane 2.5 ton were also all off because I already had the tech come back to turn on comfort-R dip switches. They figured it was blowing too much by calculating the CFM at the return when it was running. I can't believe that 1. the tech didn't read the manual and 2. that Trane would leave them in the 450cfm mode from the factory. Going to have tech back next week to reduce speed and hopefully the air will be drier and colder now!
    If the system isn't a heat pump, make sure they have a jumper to power the O terminal in the cooling mode, or Comfort-R won't work properly.

I have never seen a Trane VS unit come from the factory set at 450 CFM per ton, but stranger things have happened.

What is comfort R?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    While your service person is there correcting the dip switch settings, ask him if there is a jumper between Y and O, or R and O at the control board in the air handler.

The O terminal needs to be powered in the cooling mode for Comfort-R to work correctly.
    Thanks, this is from my installers guide:

" If the optional humidstat is used, remove R-BK jumper from the low voltage terminal board (not shown) and install the humidistat between R and BK. (Jumper R to O for cooling-only/non-heat pump systems with a humidistat.)

Is this what you are referring to in your reply? If so, I don't have a humidistat, so would I still need to ask the Tech to jumper R to O? Thanks in advance for any info.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    What is comfort R?
    http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ers/XL19i.aspx

Scroll to the "Enhanced Airflow" section. Just running the fan at lower CFM to achieve a lower SHR for the first 8.5 minutes.

Originally posted by rc_crfan
    Originally posted by mark beiser

Thanks, this is from my installers guide:

" If the optional humidstat is used, remove R-BK jumper from the low voltage terminal board (not shown) and install the humidistat between R and BK. (Jumper R to O for cooling-only/non-heat pump systems with a humidistat.)

Is this what you are referring to in your reply? If so, I don't have a humidistat, so would I still need to ask the Tech to jumper R to O? Thanks in advance for any info.
    You only need the jumper if a humidistat is installed across R and BK so that the control board will recognize the unit is in cooling. When in heating (no O signal), the board ignores dehumidify commands. Since the R to BK jumper is installed, there's no need to fake the cooling signal by jumping R to O.

Comfort R is identical in heating and cooling for the TWE and 4TEE air handlers. Only the variable speed furnace with a heat pump has a different Comfort-R profile between cooling and heating.

jrbenny is correct. I looked it up again and on electric air handlers, the jumper to O is not needed for Comfort-R to work.

Only need the jumper to O on the gas furnaces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast