student in need of help advice.---regarding Mitsubishi unit.

Hello, everyone, this is my first post to the form. I am posting because I am having some warranty servicing difficulty with my Mr.Slim. As well keep in mind that I am a med student (ie my name) so I have little understanding of hvac systems (although I got a good mark in physics-- so I reasonably understand electrical circuit diagrams).

My issues begin when I got my Mr.Slim unit. I was told that I would get 6 years parts and labor, and they even showed me an advertisement to prove it. The advertisement papers said clearly "Mitsubishi" 6 years parts and labor. Now, when there was a power surge in my area, something happened to my unit and it shut itself down (as per repair man -don't know if he is bs-ing). I called them in my warranty period and they basically said (both Mitsubishi and dealer) not our problem. You want service system shut downs are not included in the warranty $. Of course my dad is 75 and I did not want him to die in the heat so I took it up the backside. IT is noteworthy to say that the guy who is the distributor who I talked to to get assistance is a total asshat and will probably try to do something sneaky if I complain. Now my action plan is to complain to the Attorney general's office about Mitsubishi and their shady warranty practices. (I don't really blame the HVAC guys in this problem).

<<<<<<<<<<<SO MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWNG:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. If in the future I have to get service for my unit is it possible to get it from a third party mitsubishi authorized hvac company without either regional distributor or Mitsubishi knowing about it? IE do all parts bought for out of warranty repairs have to be declared to the company distributor/manufacturer in regards to who is the end user (client) or what is the end client serial number if they are getting an out of warranty repair?

2. How hard is it to fix myself?

3. I know an hvac guy does not do Mitsubishi but does a lot of industrial hvac work. Is there any way to procure a manual of repair?

thanks.

Can anyone provide me answers or other solutions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-28-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: price

Part of the problem may be the original installer. Most manufacturers will only honor the manufacturers warranty if the unit was installed by a licensed contractor. If you installed this yourself, you may have voided the warranty. As far as your service question, you should be able to call anybody out to fix your Mr. Slim. They may not have parts, but can certainly get them from a wholesaler. Unless you have all the right tools and test equipment (Gauge, hoses and manifold, an understanding of the compression system, recovery machine and tank, vacuum pump, refrigerant good volt/ohm meter, miscellaneous hand tools, and an understanding of how to check motor windings, relays, overloads, fuses etc.) it will be quite difficult for you to fix this yourself. Your HVAC friend should be able to figure it out.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Hmm Set-up

Quote Originally Posted by med student View Post

My issues begin when I got my Mr.Slim unit. I was told that I would get 6 years parts and labor, and they even showed me an advertisement to prove it. The advertisement papers said clearly "Mitsubishi" 6 years parts and labor.

Now, when there was a power surge in my area, something happened to my unit and it shut itself down (as per repair man -don't know if he is bs-ing).

IT is noteworthy to say that the guy who is the distributor who I talked to to get assistance is a total asshat and will probably try to do something sneaky if I complain.

<<<<<<<<<<<SO MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWNG:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. How hard is it to fix myself?

Can anyone provide me answers or other solutions?
    It is Very Easy to fix. Install a whole house surge protector.

At least it will provide the NECESSARY protection NEXT time.

FIR$T Time - SOL ... ... ... LIVE, Learn and get a little poorer.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Hi guys thanks for the replies. My line of questioning goes more along these lines.

Can I procure a mitsubi**** mr.slim repair manual (so that my hvac friend can do repairs with the manual).

How easy is it to procure Mitsubishi AC parts if the regional distributor is pissed that you contacted the state attorney general on his shady ass.

IE when you do out of warranty repairs do they ask for serials on the old unit?
    Do they inquire who its for etc?

Model and serial number.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The warranty covers defects in material and workmanship, not power surges from the power company. You don't disclose the nature of the repair, but I figure you fried a circuit board or some other electronic component. You may want to have an attorney read the warranty terms before wasting an attorney generals time. And get that surge protector.