Hello - Out of 5 quotes (ugh), this last guy said he only quotes/installs the AC/Furnace unit first. Then will talk about adding ductwork (and associated costs - but did give me a typical number per run, so he wasn't secretive).

Seems like a good idea to me, but what's the catch, and why didn't anyone else suggest this? Am I going to get nickle and dimed?

-ed

Also, not one offered a load calc or there was a _sigificant_ charge. I think I'll download the sw tonight, but I'm not convinced they'd know what to do w/ the results if I showed it to any of them. (I'm from northern california (sacramento area))

why install a system if you dont know if the duct can handle it or if the duct is too large. sizing of the duct work is just as important as sizing the system they go hand in hand. find someone that will look over you intire house and be willing to price the intire job. not price it piece meal

AS a professional, look for a professional around your area that knows what to do, a load calc for instance. it's hard to imagine there may be not one HVAc company that does this in your area!

Thanks for the advice; i'll keep looking!
    -ed

just because they did not do a load calc does not mean they wont

I only do the calc if I get the job
    I also explain this during the estimate

to size everything out takes alot of time
    time is something that I do not like to waste so if the customer is simply going with the cheapest bid (which isnt me) I do not waste my time doing the load/loss calculations

DHvac--how do you calculate price foe equipment if you haven't done a load cal--by ton? just curious
    Learn the process not the procedure--the process will dictate the procedure-If ya understand how it works ya knows how to fix it!

I'm sure dhvac is experienced enough.

Im also curious as to your method though.

Do you measure the house and give a rough calc. Say a 1000 Sq ft home, quote him on a 2 1/2 ton?? Then after you got it do the exact calc.

How? Tell us please.

dhvac has a good point and most can come close enough to give an estamate. i take the info i get back to the shop and do a load to find the correct size then give the proposal to the coustomer and i tell them before i leave this is what i am going to do so they will know what they are going to get and no suprizes. either way only a hack would pricew a system and then worry or check out the duct system involved. you have to know if there is enough return or if the supply is big enough or to big and price any changes needed in the same proposal.