mention unions....... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by lowtemp
    statistically union strikes have closed more plants then recessions. They make all these demands, but are not willing to compromise. Our shop almost went union about 5 years ago but it got voted out. Most ppl at our shop(which is 40+ employees) are dead against unions.
    Anyone that has ever been in Union/Contractor negotiations knows that they are always compromises. No body wants the work to stop. I know there are some hard core union areas like Chicago, New york that arn't as likely to bend but there also hard core contractor areas like Dallas that are the other way. Most areas of the country do compromise. I've been in New Mexico ( and ya it is in the USA) 18 years and there has never been a strike. Why a contractor, mostly large ones like about Unions is if you score a big job you don't have to go to the paper. The Unions can pull people from all over to the job. All licensed. The unions product is people. And I think your stat is made of bad information.
    Tracers work both ways.

btexpress, everything you state is valid, but does not alleviate the fact that unions are a problem in the U.S. as far as overall value. Should we not prosecute criminals because there are bad cops? Should we let shoplifters go free because employees also steal?

By the way, it is not a wedgie when you like your undies up your butt See; I do have a kinder/gentler side
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

if you are good enough at this trade, be it your a refrigeration god, or an hvac stud, or one hell of a tin knocker, or pipefitter genius. Money is never the problem. So union doesn't matter.

I didn't need the union to make more money. Or get good bennies are start saving for retirment. I was union for a short time. Far as I was concerned the union limited my earning potential.

If your good enough, you don't need a union.

And I said this on another thread of the same topic. The union guys I seen and worked with were nothing special over the non union I have also worked with.

So you hear guys who say they never had it better since going union. Well if you were that good, why the hell weren't you working for the good contractor anyway. There are wonderful non union shops out there and they love talent. Pay through the nose they will for talent. But that same guy saying he never had it better till union, you got to wonder why he was working for such an ahole out there in the non union world. Cause we all agree, that if your good enough, your going to make good money right?

It is the one constanbt in this trade. And thats why I love it so much. If your good enough, the union arguement is just not even an issue.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by btexpress
    Because the US is the most productive country in the world. We work harder, longer and with less time off than any country I'm aware of.

I think there may be other countries that work just as hard but the labor cost is why most manufacturing companies are going to Mexico and China. My guess is the shipping on auto's may be the reason more manufacturing is done in the USA.

In the last 30 days we have done new homes for two men that have both been to China recently to set up production lines. One has something to do with shoes and the others company manufactures small appliances. One of them told me the guys from China wanted the workers setting down on the ass. line and the owners were throwing a fit because they wanted them standing like most workers do here. In the end they agreed to allow it after finding out they worked for 16 hours each day.

RoBo,

ROFLMAO!

Time to get on to another subject....who can we stir up next. Hmmmmm....

Robots cost more to run than the chinese . But the last I heard there was some talk of workers organizing .
    There are super techs out there and some bad ones but alot of us are somwhere in between . Yes super techs go make a million dollars . But for the rest of us mortals its good to have representation .
    is this really happening or not

BUCM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    With the unions being on the decline since the 1960's this may be a moot point in the near future. Unions are not as effective since they cannot get away with breaking bones and burning down businesses as much as they did in the past.

Any employee should be able to utilize whatever company or government regulatory agency is intact for any issue without fear of retribution, but there are no guarentees that life is going to be fair.

I for one will never go through a company HR department again to file a complaint about a superior because of a bad experience in having done so once. That's life.
    [/
    QUOTE]

Hey Robo! long time no read!

Since you're on the topic of unions I thought another instalment of BUCM woulbe fun. Remember Her:BIG UNION CLEANING MAMA?

but it it won't be fun unless you get involved again.
    Interested?

Respectfuly, Thero

Re: BUCM

Originally posted by thero
    Hey Robo! long time no read!

Since you're on the topic of unions I thought another instalment of BUCM woulbe fun. Remember Her:BIG UNION CLEANING MAMA?

but it it won't be fun unless you get involved again.
    Interested?

Respectfuly, Thero [/B]
    I'm not sure I can take another beating from BUCM Last I heard from her was that she really wanted me but since she felt my granddad had seniority she felt obligated to do him instead.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

For Trane

No the USA is not the most productive in the world and in fact we arn't even in the top three. What gives the stat a false reading is we take about 2 weeks off a year and Europe averages 6 weeks. When you factor in the additional time we come out good. But if you factor actually working hours Guess who is top dog. France is.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123