Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    around our company and u find yourself on the unemployment line. thats what happened to one of our plumbers this week.Apparently he started bragging to some of the other plumbers about calling the union hall.Well i guess he talked to the wrong person.He got 'laid off' due to lack of work. He had been with the company for 15 years.

I lost a job once when I was a sunroof installer when I was 18. There was a meeting to introduce us to what it was all about. One week later I was fired for something stupid while I was on vacation. How the hell do you get fired while on vacation ? I found out later it was to use me as an example.

that's horrible, what would happen if you sweated too much?

Originally posted by btj steamfitter / ref
    that's horrible, what would happen if you sweated too much?
    That's funny!

We once had an issue about safety and health that the company wasn't listening too. So we drew straws to see who would go to OSHA and file a complaint anonomously. Ha! I got the shortest straw and along with the next shortest straw drawer, we went down and did the paper work. Issue got handled only we found out that after ten days this employer could open the file and see who signed it. Consequently, I got **** for work till I walked into his office after Lunch one day and said, "Tom, I would be a bigger ******* than you are if I stayed here and then I walked out."

Best decision I ever made, but it was a month too late.

Hmm MikeJ

I can't really see anyone walking out of a job before he has another one lined up. Plan your moves. I can see it now, Honey, I quit my job! She says Why? I said, they are being mean to us. Is the rent paid yet? How about some luvin honey? Why not?..... The unions did their jobs, I agree. More money, more benifits, more safety, and insurance. You'll be a happier man if you learn something new about your job everyday. Roy

With the unions being on the decline since the 1960's this may be a moot point in the near future. Unions are not as effective since they cannot get away with breaking bones and burning down businesses as much as they did in the past.

Any employee should be able to utilize whatever company or government regulatory agency is intact for any issue without fear of retribution, but there are no guarentees that life is going to be fair.

I for one will never go through a company HR department again to file a complaint about a superior because of a bad experience in having done so once. That's life.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

statistically union strikes have closed more plants then recessions. They make all these demands, but are not willing to compromise. Our shop almost went union about 5 years ago but it got voted out. The plumber that threatened to call the union hall should have known it wasnt going to happen. Most ppl at our shop(which is 40+ employees) are dead against unions.

Originally posted by lowtemp
    statistically union strikes have closed more plants then recessions. They make all these demands, but are not willing to compromise. Our shop almost went union about 5 years ago but it got voted out. The plumber that threatened to call the union hall should have known it wasnt going to happen. Most ppl at our shop(which is 40+ employees) are dead against unions.

what demands?? like not being able to smoke a good employee of 15 years because he made a phone call? if he called OSHA for a legitimate complaint/problem/concern instead of the union hall would it be right to smoke him too. hmmmmmm. sounds like a wonderful company to work for. watch what you do, you might be next. you might want to keep his phone number, you just might need it too.

what about the contractors demands? do you think the contractors just roll over and say "whatever you guys want". negotiating is compromising on both sides.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Re: MikeJ

Originally posted by oroy54
    I can't really see anyone walking out of a job before he has another one lined up. Plan your moves. I can see it now, Honey, I quit my job! She says Why? I said, they are being mean to us. Is the rent paid yet? How about some luvin honey? Why not?..... The unions did their jobs, I agree. More money, more benifits, more safety, and insurance. You'll be a happier man if you learn something new about your job everyday. Roy
    Under the circumstances, it was the right thing to do. This owner was a low baller type in the maintenance janitorial field. He took on a large government contract and we had to go union to work there. He arranged that we get half of normal pay and pay half of normal union dues. The union hall did not like this and helped us get full pay (back pay) being he sign a government contract and reneged on the pay part. Only problem was I was only one of about 30 that had worked for him before and after that one year job. So he tried to take it out on me physically and mentally. Thru his own fault he had to pay those 30 people about $8 hr for about a year of 40 hr weeks. I was an assistant supervisor but he would not legally call me that so I had to stay within the union. Therefore I qualified for the back pay also. He thought I started the paperwork but it was the union that did that, not me. I only benefited from the outcome.

So I walked out of his office and two doors down into the unemployment office. He fought my claim and I lost a week of benefits. Then I got a resume/job search class from the unempl. office and good job leads which led to a full time job. (He wouldn't put me on full time after that govenment job finished). And, I did check with the unemployment office prior to calling him a dickhead which is what most referred to him as.

Well i'll tell you. I make 35/hr full benefits and pension ($4.50/hr worked).I have been with this company 6 years and i now manage the HVAC side of company. The plumber that got let go had become a chronic whiner,so good riddens to him. There are no Union shops in my city and there never will be. Unions may have done some good many years ago,but their time has come and gone.

Management will sigle out really key people in a shop and offer em some deal in exchange they will make sure everyone falls in line always with the hidden threat that we could all lose our job , because this owners going to fold shop if it goes union . We should all understand that some buisness owners are smart and ruthless and will do whatever it takes to maintain tight control . I personally dont have a problem with this I just choose not to support this . It should be understood though that workers in this country have the right to organize . And undo interferance by owner is against the law . Hence the afore mentioned backroom deals .
    I met a guy once who wound up in federal court in such case . Coworkers who this guy thought had his back were bought out and did not back him in his statements .
    is this really happening or not

Hmm Mike J and guys

I retract my statment about walking out on your job. Sometimes it's like Popeye the salior man. "I am what I am, and I can't stands it anymore!" Just try to have at least 1 month of savings,in a seperate account, always, in case this happens again. I would hate to get caught up in that also. Roy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast