I thinking of buying a trane xr 12 unit and notice that its coil is aluminum and looks like it could be hard to wash out with hose. I know you have to take the panels off to do it correctly. Which is better aluminum or copper?

Thanks Brad

Let the contractor who you purchase the system from perform maintenance once a year, and you do not have to worry about damaging the coil.

The coil is not that hard to wash.. Just as long you don't use a pressure washer on it. (any brand as well) to flatten out the coil.

If a person stays on top of it, it's easier than a regular copper rows, where it's packs in some time.

do a search, and you'll see many posting on it, and some showing before/after shots.

Is trane the only one that uses aluminum coils instead of copper?

yes trane is the only company that uses them.american standard does but it's the same thing as a trane looks a little different is all.some people on here think the coils are great others don't. i've heard and could be wrong that trane may not be using these coils much longer. if i'm wrong there will be at least ten people letting me know different. lol

Only thing I've heard is change to all aluminum evaps on the new line. I'd be very surprised if the Spine Fin goes. It works too well!

I have heard that leaks tend to occur where the aluminium and copper meet.

Trane has much success with their coils where there is a high salt concentration in the air. Example ocean seaside homes. In essence there is a lot less area for electrolysis to start since the spine fin coil has all the same material except at the copper lines junctions. Copper coils don't seem to last as long because the surface area of the copper coils sits in a sea of aluminum cooling fins. Sea air causes the electrolysis to start. In additon the higher end Trane units uses a barrier blanket where the copper lines meet the spine fin coils. Tranes last a lot longer in the seaside communities

Exclamation Equipment, Install, SERVICE, Warranty

kevin mac KNOWS.

Also, look into
    10-year Parts & Labor Warranty
    and Annual Maintenance (twice yearly) Service contract

for an _as Worry-Free set-up as_
    one would be able to pursue.

You may find the costs
    more than Satisfactory for
    peace-of-mind
    and Reliable Operations and Service.

There are MANY A/C Firms that ARE GOOD.
    But, ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities