Thread: Condensate Drain

Post Likes
    My evap coil condensate drain does not have a trap - the line comeout of the evap pan, straight down to the floor then our 12" across the floor to a hole drilled in the concrete.

Should I have one installed? What is it's function and how important is it?

Post Likes
    The purpose of a trap is to create an air seal between the drain pan outlet and the end of the drain line to allow proper drainage. By not having this seal air is allowed to be pulled thru the drain line and thus not allowing the water to drain from the pan. Yes you need one.

Post Likes
    Is the coil on top of the furnace? If yes most likely it's a positive pressure coil. Which means you really don't "need" a trap in the line. The pipe is actually under pressure and you should be able to feel air blowing out the end (by the floor drain), this won't hurt it's ability to drain the water.

Although most manufactures reccomend a trap.

Now if it's a negitive pressure coil (air is getting pulled through it), absolutely, you need a trap... and a properly sized one at that.

If your situation is the 1st, and it's working fine I wouldn't worry about it.

*Edit*
    is the hole an actual drain? Or is it just a hole that drains under the house into the ground? If it's not an actual drain, get that condensate pumped into a drain somewhere.

[Edited by amickracing on 07-28-2005 at 06:43 PM]

Post Likes
    Coil is above the furnace. I can feel cold air coming from the bottom of the drain. The condensate drips into a hole drilled int he floor and then makes it way to the sump about 3' from it, and is then pumped out of the basement.

Post Likes
    Does the condensate pipe terminate just above the hole in the concrete, or does the pipe actually go down into the hole?

If it goes into the hole, be prepared for a possible clog at the end of that pipe in about two years.

I've seen this happen many times with this "down into the slab install", and at the worst, the end of the line clogged, the water backed all the way up into the drain pan (of course no secondary was installed, don't be silly), and the pan overflowed "big time" onto the heatexchanger, blower motor, circuit board, etc.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in