Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boom Town

Hmm How come?

Most all of our heavy equipment is built in Germany? Tractors, cranes, ships, ect?

Long as they are not building Panzer tanks. I met this girl from Germany a week ago and she told me their economy sucks.

It's a great area. Beutiful area. Coastal Georgia in general.

D's it is amazing the changes that have taken place since you were in the area. Most of it good.

Great Pic Of King's Bay......Saw A OutHouse There....Whats next....Ghewing Gum Rappers?
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Originally posted by James 3528
    I was gone before you got there. I ran night operations for ITT there. I had already had a top secret clearance with the Airforce and had easy access to most areas. I liked the warhead area. Went all thought that building. Simply fascinating. Between that and being in the Airforce I saw what it takes to keep this country free and defended. I put down tracks few people get to follow in this country working at that place and felt honored to do it. The HVAC's were highly protected with huge bank vault looking doors. .

BTW Jrbenny....Hard to believe but my uncle who was the chief naval engineer at the Pentagon went before congress to get the money for the Navy to build Kings Bay as you saw it. He now lives close by at Fernandina Beach. [/B]
    Rumor has it that the base would have been built at Port Canaveral if Jimmy Carter wasn't from Georgia. Only 1/2 hour to dive point from PCAN. Six to eight hours from Kings Bay. That's a fun transit in the winter!

I didn't get to see much of the physical plants on the base. My secret clearance didn't get too far on that side of the fence. I was a nuclear machinist mate on the Maryland. My job was in the engine room. We didn't play with the missiles. We were just inconvenienced by the security during missile moves. Marines looking for a reason to shoot their guns! We stayed clear of the missile moves.

We still visit the area. My wife has a friend that teaches at Camden High. Her husband is an LDO on a ship in Mayport. He was on the opposite crew as I when he was enlisted. We were there in March. Things are definitely growing throughout the entire area. Lots of new construction in Kingsland.

It was a buyers market my entire time in the area. I refused to buy a house because of the resale issues. It was cheaper to build then buy used. I had too many friends stuck with homes when they transferred to a different base.

If our girls didn't love Disney so much, we might stay at SSI for our late spring vacation. Might have to discuss only being in FL for a couple of nights this year. I think that they'd have a good time at SSI. We usually stay on Treasure Island/John's Pass just south of Clearwater Beach. However, there's plenty to do at SSI, and it's a lot more relaxed. Wifey could spend some more time with her friend, too. I could play some golf while they shop!

SSI... A frined of mine that owns a steak house (red barn) just sold his dads house on the beach there. His dad paid $16,000 for it in 1964. He sold it for 4 million. My first house I still own is not over there and has tripled in price. The down side of this is taxes.

[Edited by James 3528 on 08-01-2005 at 05:06 PM]

I don't know how anyone could go to that area and not love it. It's an awesome area. We loved living there. Savanah, actually Tybee Island, it's just all an awesome place. Saint Simons, Jekyll, Even north to Hiltobn Head. Ran all over. Drank, got drunk on every beach bar from hilton head to jekyll as a US Army Soldier. That was the best duty any GI could want. Four Day weekends were just one party on the beach after another.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    I don't know how anyone could go to that area and not love it. It's an awesome area. We loved living there. Savanah, actually Tybee Island, it's just all an awesome place. Saint Simons, Jekyll, Even north to Hiltobn Head. Ran all over. Drank, got drunk on every beach bar from hilton head to jekyll as a US Army Soldier. That was the best duty any GI could want. Four Day weekends were just one party on the beach after another.
    If it makes you feel any better right now it looks like a typical overcast Michigan day here And I just received a warning call that my X is in town for 2 weeks. Why can't you keep her behind up there in Detroit ?

I have never asked, but curious. Where is she from up here? Municipality wise. It might help me get a clearer picture in my head. I am thinking as you have described her she is fromt he Taylor area or Downriver in general.

We would move there in a heartbeat. Not even that slow, if we didn't have the kids all wrapped up in life. I was talking to HVAC45 last year, just bull ****tin more than anything about making a move to hilton head area. He said a good refrigeration guy could make some decent coin there as a one man show. I thought about it.

Yeagh, this area can suck depending on where you are at. I live in a decent area, and were moving west here in about 6 months. Building me a house on some country property.

I post all the time how much it sucks here, but my entire life is changing fast for some strange reason. We have picked up some excellent work, for excellent clients, that pay most excellent. Life is much better these days around my ranch.

Bloomfield Hills and a couple other little towns outside Detroit.

Her family have a little money? Bloomfeild Hills, generally is where alot of high income live. It is considered a crem da la crem area of this metro area.

Her father had the money. Good guy. They lived about 4 streets back from that restaurant Jimmy Hoffa went missing from. Sadly he is gone and I would think knowing the rest of them the money is also. I met some really nice people around Bloomfield.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast