Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boom Town

My town lies the nearest to deep water on the Atlantic coast but for years was kept from doing port business with larger shipping companies because of a old bridge. Recently the new bridge opened and the removal of the old bridge is now complete.The closest to port a large ship has from the sea is considered as most favorable because when the inland run is longer it usually means more obstacles to navigate and more liability for the shipping line. The port has already been port of entry to foreign car makers handling large numbers of vehicles. Options to these vehicles are often added here creating a work force. Just recently there was a press release of a proposed 1 Billion dollar development at the foot of the new bridge. In the bottom picture behind the support cables and of center to the right is a open area. This is where Liberty Ships were built during WW2. You can see the ramps visible at the waters edge. The billion dollar development story is here http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...19306046.shtml

As Army bases close in Europe Soldiers are moving to Fort Stewart Ga. . Connecticut looks to be losing a nuke sub base and a build up of the one here is proposed when assets from there is moved this way. Since the mid 70's the place has been home of FLETC http://www.fletc.gov/ the training grounds for Federal law enforcement and because of the events of 911 that place is growing rapidly. Some might remember that the G8 summit that was held in England a few weeks ago where the bombings took place was held here last year flawlessly except for a few protestors.

For someone that grew up on a dirt road and spent a hot summers day much like this one years ago barefooted going down to the Sunoco gas station to buy a Mountain Dew, this is exciting to watch.

Great pictures James!

Good to have you back.

Nice pics.

That last pic looks sorta like the Dames Point Bridge (even though I know it's not).

Originally posted by special ed
    Nice pics.

That last pic looks sorta like the Dames Point Bridge (even though I know it's not).
    I have been over the Dames Point many, many times. Some of that shipping biz at the port here came from Blount Island

The old bridge seen here had been struck twice in its life time knocking parts of it down and putting it out of service.

That car carriers had thousands of cars on board. It is leaving port and riding high in the water.

Where is that at James?
    Yes I am A Pirate, 200 years too late.

That's Not Kings bay Is It?
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Originally posted by cracker
    Kingsbay is just South of that bridge at the end of Cumberland Island.

JB that is the bridge in the Brunswick river.

Originally posted by cracker
    Here is a NSB Kings Bay link.
    http://eyeball.sabotage.org/kings-eyeball.htm

In one of the top pics is a building called Trident Training. It is a huge building and I worked there at the point when the building was turned over to the Navy. The other pics are very detailed and probably came from Terra or Soviet surveillance satellites because there is no fly over allowed. This base makes up part of a 100 mile radius of the largest concentration of nuke warheads in the world.

Thanks James. I thought you lived around Savannah.
    Nice Bridge and Pics.
    Yes I am A Pirate, 200 years too late.

Last pier in lower right corner of close up (tender moored parallel with shore) has some of the best fishing in the area. I've caught trout, shark, flounder, croaker...man I miss being stationed there. Off-crew time was great if you liked outdoor activities. 1/2 hour to James's area where they have some very nice beaches. Saltwater fishing on the base. Deer hunting, too. Very nice 18-hole golf course. I don't miss the flying teeth. Those sand gnats are vicious! I've been out for 4 years...seems like yesterday I was trekking around that base.

That big brick building you mentioned is unique in its construction. My understanding when I was there...minimal heat (if any!). Building is designed to be heated by the body load. Cold as heck in the evening! Used to have college classes with 10 people in a 200-person auditorium. Was there any heat in that building, James?

There were carrier chillers there. I really can't remember but I am sure there was.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Last pier in lower right corner of close up (tender moored parallel with shore) has some of the best fishing in the area. I've caught trout, shark, flounder, croaker...man I miss being stationed there. Off-crew time was great if you liked outdoor activities. 1/2 hour to James's area where they have some very nice beaches. Saltwater fishing on the base. Deer hunting, too. Very nice 18-hole golf course. I don't miss the flying teeth. Those sand gnats are vicious! I've been out for 4 years...seems like yesterday I was trekking around that base.

That big brick building you mentioned is unique in its construction. My understanding when I was there...minimal heat (if any!). Building is designed to be heated by the body load. Cold as heck in the evening! Used to have college classes with 10 people in a 200-person auditorium. Was there any heat in that building, James?
    I was gone before you got there. I ran night operations for ITT there. I had already had a top secret clearance with the Airforce and had easy access to most areas. I liked the warhead area. Went all thought that building. Simply fascinating. Between that and being in the Airforce I saw what it takes to keep this country free and defended. I put down tracks few people get to follow in this country working at that place and felt honored to do it. The HVAC's were highly protected with huge bank vault looking doors. .

BTW Jrbenny....Hard to believe but my uncle who was the chief naval engineer at the Pentagon went before congress to get the money for the Navy to build Kings Bay as you saw it. He now lives close by at Fernandina Beach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast