Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC in the shop

Hi, I have a 28x36 shop. I had a 2.5 ton system installed. New trane air handler, used condenser. Heres the rub, the old Bryant condenser was my father in laws, he added on to the house,blah blah blah, needed to upgrade. The installer who swapped them out was not the same one who installed my system. The lineset connections on Bryant are flared, so he brazed them while not hooked up (he explained later) I get home from work just before he is going to charge the lines and startup. He has a vac pump hooked up, opens a valve and says "Oh, theres juice in here" He then told me he wished he knew that in advance. He then closed them, put the gauges on, turned on the power, opened the valves, added some "juice" and left. The system cools seems to work fine, but I'm a little worried that a step or two was left out. I'd like to be a little informed before I go shooting my mouth off. Advice?

Sounds like he didn't evacuate the old AHU and line set before he opened the valves on the new condensing unit from what you are describing. In that case, yes he left out a very important step of removing any moisture and other noncondensables from the system. Typically new condensing units do come pre-charged and this should not have been a suprise for him.

The condenser is the used unit, air handler is new. He said something to the effect of, I would have thought they evact this when they took it out. So what kind of troubles am I in for? Thanks in advance

Ask your installer what he did and did not do, he should have pulled a vacuum on the line set and the evap, he MAY have pulled a vac. on lineset, evap, and then opened the valves expecting no charge, and would have then vaced the condensing unit. Ask HIM. We could spend all weekend guessing, if he did not evacuate the system properly, moisture may mix with refrigerant forming acid and destroying the compressor.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Well, I asked Him what he did. I quizzed him a little about getting the moisture out of the line set and evap. He hemmed and hawed a bit then admitted that he would have had to put a schraeder (sp?) valve somewhere else in order to do a proper job of it. In not knowing there was juice in the condenser, by the time he found out, it was too late. I asked if there is a danger of eventually ruining a old but otherwise good compresser. He stated that he doubted that would happen.
    Any thoughts on this? Whats the correct plan of action, evac the system and start fresh? Just go with what I have?

I hope his services were cheap cause you did not get much. Find a new contractor,Recover refrigerant, evacuate the system, weight in proper charge, check superheat adjust charge accordingly. Enjoy the fact that things were done right! Old machinery gets that way by proper installation and maintenance. Best wishes
    Still learning opinions welcome.

I'm only guessing at this ,he wasn't the high bid on this job was he?

Oh, give me a break. Everything that is ever asked about on this site always gets one of these, Duh, it wasn't the high bid was it. I typed that real slow so you could understand it. You knotheads think ya got a line on everything. I can tell you he wasn't the low bid. What a bunch, a guy comes to you for some info, general stuff not how to become a diy and he gets grilled. You're an idiot. It's no wonder people try to get by with not dealing with a arrogant knothead like you. I'm outta here. bunch of self-rightous.......................................

Sounds like they pumped the old condensor down, then cut the lines, then when you hooked it up to your NEW airhandler, he welded it up and open the king valves and probably didnt do anything else, was a filter at least added in the suction/liquid line.

Bottom line the system should of had a vaccum on it, who knows what mess was in the ole compressor at the time it was disonnected from the other system.

should of spent the extra dough and got a new matching condensor, it would have payed in the long run.But its your money , not ours.

Originally posted by the dangling wrangler
    I'm only guessing at this ,he wasn't the high bid on this job was he?
    Gee, is that how you get a good HVAC tech??? Just go with the highest bidder??? If it only it were that simple......In my experience as a HO, I've seen NO correlation between high price and good service, with my self, and others that I know...I'm not saying that the cheapest guys are the best either, but it seems like price really means nothing: you just have to find a good guy/company by asking around (which I'm still doing: I expect my +15 year old "builder grade" Yorks to go sooner or later, but so far they still run like champs.....knock on wood)...

Well,I guess you told me!

Sounds as though when the old condensing unit was being removed it was pumped down (pumping all the exsisting regrigerents into the condenser by utilizing the compressor) Not unusual I do it all the time when changing out a working system.

You said when you arrived home he had the vacuum pump hooked up? ok, what we don't know is if he evacuated the line set and the air handler's evaporator coil? (the line st and evap coil can be evacuated without opening the valves to the C/U) Kind of doesn't sound like it as it sounds to me he opened up the 'king' valves in preperation of evacuating the whole system. Was surprised the person who removed the C/U pumped it down.

He didn't want to go thru the process of getting his recovery rig set up to remove the charge as was late in the day? If you weren't there watching over him likely he would have air discharged the refrigerent then pump down and probably just pump out the atmosphere?

Pumping out the atmosphere would have been better than leaving air in the lines. His final 'juicing' sounds maybe he tried a purge to push lighter atmosphere ahead of the regrigerent and out of his hose?

Look it doesn't sound like the final start up was done right. He did all the hard work of installing it all. Then skated by on the most critical finish

You have 2 choices call in another co. to recover, evacuate and weight in charge or have this guy come back when rested and finish right?

Most guys know proper procedures unfortunately some just don't always use them, especially if it's a 'side' job.

[Edited by westcoast941 on 07-22-2005 at 08:11 PM]

The original poster was trying to get out cheap. Plain &
    simple. It's kinda like going into a swanky resturant and
    bringing your own Porter House steak, and asking the chef
    to cook it. Nobody in their right mind would contemplate
    doing that, would they? Or going to the doctor and asking
    him to do an operation that you read about on the net, it
    could save you so much money, and it'a a really easy
    one. Maybe you can "rent" the operating room & tools and
    just ask Dr. Nick from the Simpsons to do it(the last
    scenario MIGHT be a little over-blown, but you get the
    drift).