Trane XL20i/Hyperion AH. What thermostat?

I'm a homeowner in need of some advice:
    I'm having an 5 ton XL20i heatpump (model # 4TWZ0060A1000A) installed with Trane Hyperion airhandler (model # TAM7A0C60H51SAA). I live in Central Florida (i.e. hot and humid most of the time)

What is the best Trane thermostat for the job? Trane website seems to indicate TCONT 900, but dealer has indicated that won't work (says AH is non-communicating) and is wanting to install TCONT 803. What is the real advantage of having a "communicating system" anyway? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any input!

u need to go with the communicating a/h with that od unit. you lose all the benefits of that h/p going analog. if you keep that a/h i would use the honeywell iaq thermostat. but i highly suggest using the 4tee3c which is the communicating a/h. the advantage of having communicating is the units can talk to each other and keep u more comfortable by changing fan speeds, cycling between 1st and 2nd stage. u mine as well go with the xl16i if you not going to use the communicating a/h

The TAM8 communicating air handler is not available yet as far as I know. It should be available hopefully by the end of this quarter but don't quote me on that. IMO the Hyperion platform is worth the wait over the current generation Comm. A/H. Ask your dealer to get an ETA on the TAM8 and see if you can hold off on the job until its available.

If you cannot wait for the air handler then the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ will get you close to the performance of a communicating system.

This is just my opinion; I’ve never stocked a DDC or communicating thermostats on my service truck, some Lennox signature stats, or Vision Pro 8000. I have gone to a few install warranty calls where the new t-stat failed, but not many. If there is only three wires in the wall there are not too many options. I can see the need of service techs keeping a wireless FocusPro 6000 t-stat as a temporary back-up. When my Signature Stat dies I’ll replace it with a Honeywell Prestige.

Unless you are running Indoor Air Quality Equipment, or dual-fuel I don’t understand any advantage.
    The B-K air ramp on a Trane Variable speed only has two throttle settings; Lennox DS is voltage proportional variable air ramp, this system would have greater difference with a proprietary t-stat to me.

A t-stat is a temperature responding switch, some are better in quality then others.

The BK or DH terminals are out of the equation when used with the communicating stats. Also, the BK terminal is more than just a 24V DH terminal depending on whats controlling it of course. Remember the old XV1500's...

Apologies for the thread derail OP.

Trane is also releasing the new XL980comfort link to select dealers. You may want to look into that.

I'd either use the IAQ or the new Trane control personally. Although if you don't need dehumidify on demand, winter humidifier, a good 2 stage stat would be fine. The alternating use on the heat elements only happens if you stage the electric backup so the IAQ or 950 would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    u need to go with the communicating a/h with that od unit. you lose all the benefits of that h/p going analog. if you keep that a/h i would use the honeywell iaq thermostat. but i highly suggest using the 4tee3c which is the communicating a/h. the advantage of having communicating is the units can talk to each other and keep u more comfortable by changing fan speeds, cycling between 1st and 2nd stage. u mine as well go with the xl16i if you not going to use the communicating a/h
    You really don't need a communicating a/h with the 20i. Its is designed to use conventional 24v or comm. The TAM7 is a very sophisticated air handler, and even though it isn't communicating like its baby bro (TAM 8) it is still ahead of the game when compared to the 4tee3c. The vision pro 8000 is a great choice for a t-stat.

Honeywell Prestige IAQ

Model: YTHX9421R5028

I install this thermostat on every duel fuel or premium system I put in that is not communicating. It is top-notch, and performs great.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

The installer

Quote Originally Posted by pwg11386 View Post
    You really don't need a communicating a/h with the 20i. Its is designed to use conventional 24v or comm. The TAM7 is a very sophisticated air handler, and even though it isn't communicating like its baby bro (TAM 8) it is still ahead of the game when compared to the 4tee3c. The vision pro 8000 is a great choice for a t-stat.
    will need the harness kit for the XL20i unit.