A couple crazy questions

Hi guys and gals

question 1, a plumber and a burner guy were telling me that there is a "new" air to air heat pump that can be used in the northern states not needing electric heat back up?

Question 2, someone recently asked me if I have heard of these new EMC pumps that are 80% more efficient than a conventional pump. They come small enough to replace a taco 007 and then up to 20 hp.

Just spent an hour googling things myself and came up with nothing???

Thanks

Steve

Installed a Trane HP last fall (commercial) Was informed it could produce heat down to -3deg ambient. I had called them because I questioned where my controls for changeover from HP to just the heat bank where. Was told by Trane that there is no need for them. The unit will run and produce heat. The heat bank should be used as a second stage. Did not receive a call for no heat all winter so I guess it worked as designed. The area it takes care of has low and high temp alarms so someone would be informed if it was not working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacsteve View Post
    Hi guys and gals

question 1, a plumber and a burner guy were telling me that there is a "new" air to air heat pump that can be used in the northern states not needing electric heat back up?

Question 2, someone recently asked me if I have heard of these new EMC pumps that are 80% more efficient than a conventional pump. They come small enough to replace a taco 007 and then up to 20 hp.

Just spent an hour googling things myself and came up with nothing???

Thanks

Steve
    Mitsubishi and others will offer heat pumps that operate to a very low outdoor temp. Supplemental heat will depend on the structure.

For the pumps I would have to guess the Grundfoss line. They produce some amazing products.

thank's Tech

What Trane heat pump can produce enough heat at -3 that backup isn't needed unless heat loss of the structure is abnormally low? Must be a mini though I didn't know they sold them.

thanks yellow. do you guys think this is becouse it's 410A? was the coil & the fan ginormis?

Also the new Carrier Infinity is supposed to be pretty stout.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

UA 537

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    What Trane heat pump can produce enough heat at -3 that backup isn't needed unless heat loss of the structure is abnormally low? Must be a mini though I didn't know they sold them.
    Oh they never said it would produce enough heat at -3. they Just said i9t would produce heat and have a "second stage" of electric heat. So in basic terms at -3 you may have a .05 temp differential

Put a ductless mitsu heatpump in a C store that said it would heat down to -10F this winter... Did the spring pm and they said it was hot in there this winter... This unit is used to heat a space that an oil furnace use to heat and only does about 1/3 of the store with the other heat being supplied fro package units.