hello, I just purchased a new home and my family has moved into it. I however, am staying behind for a short time due to job. My new home has a 12 seer reheem heat pump, My Wife called me and told me that the A/C wasnt working. my father in law took a look. The over load had kicked on the condensor fan. The compressor, and the air handler were running, but obviously not removing much heat. My father in law reset the overload, and the fan motor made a audable humming, he took a stick and gave the fan a little nudge in the correct direction and it took off and cooled the coils as it should have. My wife tells me that everytime the unit cycles, this is the procedure to get the fan running, I imediatly had the flag of a starter cap come to mind. I am 1000 miles away, and this unit isnt a month old. I contacted my Real estate agent and a service man was sent.3 days laiter I am being told that they are stil stick starting the fan after the service tech had "ordered a new board" I got the builder on the phone and explaned my concern that a missdiagnosed problem may be on the way, perhaps the tech had not seen the sympthom, but knowing what I know, I was having a hard time understanding why any "board " could cause this, do these units possibly ramp the frequency up to keep load surges down, only thing I can figure, or is the board probobly not going to fix it? also what is all that high head pressure due to lack of the fan running doing to my unit? Thanks for any educated coments Rivvgs

The relay on the defrost board may not be making good contact.

It could also be a weak run cap.

Its not good on your compressor to keep using it this way.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Most likely the capacitor. Have your wife tell the tech to install a new one so she'll have A/C. If it was a control board, the fan wouldn't start with the stick method.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thanks fellows,turns out is was the cap just had to shake a few cages to get it replaced.I am concerned with what running all the high head did to the life of my comprerssor, at the very least I am sure the oil got fairly warm, is there a high pressure protection device on this thing other than a blow out plug? thanks

Well first off If the the high pressure switch went off and ya had to reset it,that means it did its job and the compressor didnt run after it went off on high pressure(the reason its there), I would of had them replace the motor also, when motors over amp/overheat the varnish on the windings are affected, and could possibly cause havoc on another future Hot day, just as a precaution measure.