I own a 2500 sq ft house built in 1970, bought 3 years ago. The AC stopped working. It was diagnosed by a service tech as a dead compressor. He recomends replacing the 30 yr old GE 3.5 ton compressor with a 3.5 ton Train XR11. I asked a few questions about the coil, heat pumps, replace entire unit - AC plus gas furnance - but he stuck with recommending just replacing the compressor. OK, that doesn't sound too bad. I plan on getting two more quotes/recommendations, one from Sears, and one from a contractor recommended by a friend. After that I may go back to the original company if the newer recommendations differ to give them another chance.

I grew up and lived in NY and NE. I know a little about boilers and nothing about forced ac/heat. I've looked over some of the other posts here trying to get my bearings. This ac/heat business sure leaves the consumer in the dark!

Our use of ac/heat is minimal. We keep our windows open for as much of the year as we can. AC on when it's in the mid/high 80's, heat on when the days are in the lower 60's. We plan on keeping this house for 10-15 years.

Enough talk. Can anyone educate me? Was the service tech's recommendation good? Is there a bigger picture I should be looking at?

The compressor needs to have an ARI rated matching indoor coil.
    I highly doubt a 30 year old coil is a rated match.
    Insist on a new matching coil and new copper refrigerant lines.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Exclamation Real Service

TRANE series XR12 with
    Variable Speed Ari Handler is my recommendation.

Yellow Dot stated the matching requirement WELL.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Bad advice, at the very least have the matching indoor coil installed, and from my experience with GE, your compressor was likely misdiagnosed as well, get a second opinion and have them test the capacitors for the compressor, Ive found many with bad caps, almost none with failed compressors, even at the 25-30 year mark, they sure made those things right back then.

Recommend replacement of the condenser, evaporator coil and lineset. Find a contractor to do the manual J loads on the house. He will need to measure the walls, windows, ceiling, and floor areas. Your house is probably tighter, new windows, better insulation. You need to have it sized.
    Then you want to have a new cleanly installed system.
    Using that 30 year old evaporator coil is asking for trouble. It will probably start leaking water out of that old rusty drain pan.
    Using all new components helps the life expectancy of the equipment. A compressor usually only has a one year warranty, might get a 5 year extended warranty. No I would suggest a new unit with a 5yr, 10yr or lifetime warranty.
    These newer units are more efficient too.

Exclamation WARRANTY ...

Originally posted by furnace doctor
    Recommend replacement of the condenser, evaporator coil and lineset. Find a contractor to do the manual J loads on the house.

A compressor usually only has a one year warranty, might get a 5 year extended warranty.
    Compressor Warranty is almost universally 10-YEAR
    with ANY Reputable brand.

Extended 10-YEAR PARTS & LABOR Warranty can be obtained for ~ $500. Labor Warranty is normally only 1 -year.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by mguya
    - but he stuck with recommending just replacing the compressor. OK, that doesn't sound too bad.
    CHANGING JUST THE COMPRESSOR?
    Compressor WARRANTIES STINK --one year
    Extended to Five with Warranty Programs

NEW Condensers and Coils usually start with
    5year compressor/ 1 year other parts
    Builders and low price/ quality units
    10 year Compressors are a better choice
    Some of these units have different parts warranties
    1yr-5yr-10yr
    Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser
    Some warranty the compressor as long as you live in the house, then usually 10 years from install to second owner
    Some will even replace the entire condenser if it fails with a new unit.
    Labor warranties are like this
    Manufactures usually will only pay labor on day one.
    Your contractor usually warranties labor for one year.
    Some contractors will warranty labor out to 10 years.

Actually I'd be very suprised if the furnace/evaporator coil is anywhere near 30 years old. Isn't possible that the tech realized that it is a relatively new system and does not need a total redo?

Thank you all for your help. I take it the consenus view is I should replace the condenser and coil together. Two questions raised are is it really broken and is it really 30 yrs old.

OK, you've got me to go crawl around in the dirt under my house.

The gas furnance is a Carrier. The model plate says it was manufactured in 1982, model 58DH080-CC, series 100, input 95,000.

Next to the burner end of the furnance is a metal GE plate on a piece of sheat metal. Other than by seeing the duct tape I can't really tell what this is and how it is different from the ducting. Is this the coil? The GE plate says model BGXF948F3B year 125.

On the back of the GE outside unit are two silver paper stickers. What ever was printed on them is long gone.

So ... the furnace is 20+ years and if anyone can figure out what GE's year 125 means I can know how old that part is.

I have a question about the XR11 vrs XR12 but I will ask that in a new thread later.

Again, thanks all!

save your self a lot of trouble down the road and replace everything. the intire system heat and ac has served its life time and time for it to retire