Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, the article doesn't say whether or not the guy rode the Harley to work, and if the store were so against Harley's, why did they have them on the floor?

I know car dealers that take things in for trade that never show up on the sales floor; they get rid of them if the vehicle is not up to spec for their dealership...
    "Punctuation and capitalization is the difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse. And: helping your uncle jack off a horse"
    ---
    If Mexicans will do the jobs Americans won't do, will they secure our borders?

I was working for a dealer who sold Carrier and a homeowner asked my brand preference. I said at my house I had Trane equipment and preferred it. He came unglued, apparently he was just wanting confirmation of his belief Carrier was the best. I said sir , I didn't put down Carrier equipment, but if you ask for my opinion , that's what you'll get.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Originally posted by simpleman
    How about another point of view.

Lets say you find one of your tech wearing a shirt from the
    last company he work for on your job.

Personally I think the guy that purchase the harley and then rode up in it did it because he wanted to get fired.
    I mean it go back to the old saying of dont bite the hand that feed you.

How can you ever sell or work on anything you dont believe in.Thats what this guy did he rode up on a harley as to said I dont believe in our product and I'm not a team player
    and I'm the same guy when the going gets tuff I'm out of here.

This is no different then your empolyee going to your customer home and saying dont buy what my empolyer is selling it to high,however I can do it on the side for this much.

Firing this guy was the only thing to do.
    #1. The guy isn't going to be riding the bike inside the work place like the hypothetical shirt dude.

#2. It was written that there were HD's being sold at the dealership even if they were used.

#3. Let's us say that you are the best Chrysler mechanic on the east coast. Does it matter that you prefer to drive around in a Chevy? Who's business is it what you drive around, or what you purchase for that matter. Maybe the fired employee was showing his true colors in not buying foreign manufactured items, maybe he would rather hang himself that ride on the junk that his dealership sold. Have you thought of that option.

#4. It seems to me to be a personal problem with the owner of the business and the manager as it was written, it seems that firing of people who buy competitors items happens quite often.

#5. As for the employee going to the customers home and undercutting the boss? Did it say anywhere that the employee was selling motorcycles to anyone? He was buying for his own pleasure is what I read.

...Ron

Honda builds some bikes in the US and Harleys have some foreign parts on them.

They are starting to crack down at Ford on employees driving competetive products. The campaign is called "I work for Ford, I drive a Ford." Back when my Grandfather worked here the would fire you for driving a competitors product to work.

I have a Ford a Chrysler and two Hondas.

I am intimately involved with a few distributors for a very popular beverage, american made. I do there refrigeration work in my area. I have been around these people for some time. And it comes down from the very top of that company that if your gonna drink, your gonna drink their brand. No ifs ands or buts about it. No shirts, no nothing of competitors.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    I am intimately involved with a few distributors for a very popular beverage, american made. I do there refrigeration work in my area. I have been around these people for some time. And it comes down from the very top of that company that if your gonna drink, your gonna drink their brand. No ifs ands or buts about it. No shirts, no nothing of competitors.
    Exactly...

we had a job at a Coca-Cola plant a few years ago. you could drink all the free Coke you wanted but you couldn't bring in a Pepsi. you'd get thrown off the job. we also did Bosch's HQ. we were bring in our tools when the gaurd informed us that only Bosch tools were allowed. we could use a Milwaukee port-a-band because Bosch didn't make those.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Michigan..what a mess

Originally posted by tinner73
    we had a job at a Coca-Cola plant a few years ago. you could drink all the free Coke you wanted but you couldn't bring in a Pepsi. you'd get thrown off the job. we also did Bosch's HQ. we were bring in our tools when the gaurd informed us that only Bosch tools were allowed. we could use a Milwaukee port-a-band because Bosch didn't make those.

Did they provide the Bosch tools free of charge?
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

nope. our Co. had to buy them. don't worry though they got their $$$$ back.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by simpleman
    How about another point of view.

Lets say you find one of your tech wearing a shirt from the
    last company he work for on your job.

Personally I think the guy that purchase the harley and then rode up in it did it because he wanted to get fired.
    I mean it go back to the old saying of dont bite the hand that feed you.

How can you ever sell or work on anything you dont believe in.Thats what this guy did he rode up on a harley as to said I dont believe in our product and I'm not a team player
    and I'm the same guy when the going gets tuff I'm out of here.

This is no different then your empolyee going to your customer home and saying dont buy what my empolyer is selling it to high,however I can do it on the side for this much.

Firing this guy was the only thing to do.

Clearly, these points have their merits... absolutely, you shouldn't wear a t-shirt with competition's logo's on them...

But the employees that work in a wheel chair factory, don't necessarily have to be wheel chair bound to work there. And as I've said... it shouldn't be a condition of employment if you work at a Yamaha, Harley dealer, etc... and just because you prefer the ride of the other competitors machine, does not reflect on the quality of the product...

Otherwise NONE of the Ford, Chev, Hummer, BMW dealers would allow any of their employees drive anthing else...

Just check the parked vehicles in ANY Auto manufacturer's... They hired me to paint vehicles at the plant' I can't afford a nice BMW... I showed up to work in a Pontiac Acadian.... I can't see them giving me grief for not driving a Beemer.... And as for not believing in a product... why if you are a Trane dealer, or a Lennox dealer, would you EVER consider repairing a Heil, or Keeprite split a/c? You fix all the brands, because you know how, and it's your living. Not loyal to Trane... Ok, your FIRED!"

The TEAM player, is not a suck up who sells the Chevy Silverado, to buy a Dodge Durango... it's the worker who reports to work, and performs to the expected standard in harmony with the company's expectations. If they are a sales person... then It's likley the company would provide them with a vehicle. IE: a nice Yamaha Road star... or something like that. Many people have dreams of owning a Harley, but still work as a mechanic at a Honda dealership. If the dealer thinks it's improper, just ask the guy/gal not to park the Harley at the shop, or maybe even offer a Honda to drive back and forth... if image is the issue.

But to fire them for owning another brand... is beyond stupid.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

For such a free country you guys don't seem quite so free after all.

Its a bit crazy and quite dictator like to fire an employee because he brought a nother brand of equipment or vehicle or brought pepsi to drink regardless if its leagal to do or not. there are people out of control there when this kind of thing is going on.
    They should encourage their employees to buy the prefered products by offering decent discounts on their products.

Shame on the federal,state and local govts that let this kind of thing continue
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

What does this have to do with Freedom? The guy was free to buy a Harley. Now he is free to get a lawyer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast