Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What a bunch of chit

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicl...l=8&thispage=1

When Tom Kekoni showed up for work at Babbitt's Sports Center on May 17, he had no idea it would be his last day.

That morning, a sales manager approached Kekoni, a 46-year-old certified mechanic, and asked him whether he had made a certain recent purchase.

The mechanic acknowledged he had, and the sales manager informed him that he didn't need to punch in for work.

Kekoni thought the guy was teasing him.

"Too late, I already did," Kekoni responded.

A little later, the sales manager again approached Kekoni, asking if he believed him.

Kekoni said he did, but he wanted to "hear it from the horse's mouth," referring to his boss, Eddie Babbitt.

Babbitt then fired Kekoni.

The reason?

Kekoni had just bought a 2005 Harley-Davidson Superglide motorcycle. Babbitt's sells products that compete with Harley, such as Yamaha and Polaris.

"How would it look if my mechanic drives in on a competitor's product?" Babbitt said.

Both Kekoni and Babbitt admit to the firing, which broke no laws.

According to Jack Finn, an administrator with the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth, Babbitt did nothing illegal.

"Michigan employment is termed 'at will', and as a result an employer can terminate an employee without cause," Finn said.

Kekoni and Babbitt sharply disagree over whether a policy existed against owning competitors' products.

Kekoni, 47, alleges no such thing existed. "There was no policy," he said.

Babbitt, meanwhile, claims the policy always has existed. "It's been a standing policy here forever," he said.

Babbitt added that Kekoni should have been tipped off to the policy by two incidents prior to his firing.

The first was a firing about a month before Kekoni's. Babbitt terminated another employee for buying a Honda off-road motorcycle from a different vendor.

Before that, Kekoni said he approached a sales manager concerning some used Harley bikes in Babbitt's showroom. After Kekoni inquired about purchasing them, he said the sales manager told him, "You don't want to do that."

Kekoni said it wasn't clear to him why the sales manager responded the way he did.

He would later end up buying the bike through Sandy's Harley-Davidson in Fremont, and it already had been shipped when the other employee was fired.

Shortly after letting Kekoni go, Babbitt said his business came under fire from Harley sympathizers and owners.

"I've been blasted online ... it's not easy being the boss," he said.

Kekoni said he learned nothing can be done legally. He remains upset about the reasoning behind his firing.

"Everybody in my opinion has the right to own and buy what they feel they want to have," he said. "It shouldn't be dictated to you by your boss."

Kekoni said he plans to keep the bike.

"It's a helluva thing to get fired over."

Maybe the gurus at Harley will pick up on this guy and hire him for PR.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

It's almost too perfect for a Harley advertizement.

The boss just made that guy a poster child. Harley will definately spin this. You watch.

What a crock

But, when your the owner, you can be the prick you want to be.

Ride free, bro.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Just like the Miller employee who got fired for drinking a Bud Light...

http://www.local6.com/news/4191531/detail.html

I was prevented from parking at a union hall parking lot once because I was driving a car that was not manufactured in the U.S.

Humm, how long before one of us gets canned for installing equipment that the company you work for is a dealer of?

Crock of crap.. this is the US, drive what ya want. It'll haunt the guy that canned him for a long time I bet.

Have you ever gone to a Ford dealership and looked at the line up of staffer's cars,vans and pick up trucks??? You'll find every make there... Toyota, Chev, Dodge, Nissan, Harley Davidson, Yamaha... and even the odd Yugo!!!

This manager should have been fired the day he admitted it...

it's no different anywhere. You are there for your skills, not for the vehicle you ride/drive. One of the best Harley mechanics in my city has the nickname 'Yammy' because he drives a self made custom of the old 650 yamaha twin of ealy 70's vintage...

Are there US laws that can get this guy compensated???

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

I bet Mr. Kekoni finds another job, and that the incedent costs Mr. Babbitt far more buisness than he could ever imagin it would, lol
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

How about another point of view.

Lets say you find one of your tech wearing a shirt from the
    last company he work for on your job.

Personally I think the guy that purchase the harley and then rode up in it did it because he wanted to get fired.
    I mean it go back to the old saying of dont bite the hand that feed you.

How can you ever sell or work on anything you dont believe in.Thats what this guy did he rode up on a harley as to said I dont believe in our product and I'm not a team player
    and I'm the same guy when the going gets tuff I'm out of here.

This is no different then your empolyee going to your customer home and saying dont buy what my empolyer is selling it to high,however I can do it on the side for this much.

Firing this guy was the only thing to do.

Originally posted by simpleman
    How about another point of view.

Lets say you find one of your tech wearing a shirt from the
    last company he work for on your job.
    If my employer does not want to give out shirts with their logo, then I see no reason why I can't wear what I want to.

I agree that it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do....
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Hey jimp, you in muskegon? That's my hometown! Lakeside against the world!
    DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT!

Originally posted by kbtech
    Hey jimp, you in muskegon? That's my hometown! Lakeside against the world!
    I'm in Tampa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast