Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

Hello guys.

Well Hello, Im Diego and I don't post much but I read every once in a while. I'm trying to learn more about the service side of HVAC. I currently work for a company out of Northern California and I install "heats" on a tract homes. I get a lot of side jobs doing installs and until my last one everything went great.

My last side job I got a 3 ton package unit with a frozen blower motor. I took out the motor and replaced it. But, I need more knowledge about how to service and trouble shoot a FAU. If I am to continue doing side jobs I need to know how to fix or maintain what I'm installing, right?

That said I have a few questions.

What is a good multi-meter to buy?

- I have heard about Fluke being the best, but they're awful expensive. I really want the 87 III Fluke Multi.
    But for now what do you recommend for me to start with?

I want to buy a book about Heating and Air Conditioning systems and the Refrigeration Cycle, that explains the process the freon goes through and also how everything works inside the Unit (Example; Capacitor; Transformer; Zone Board; Hot Surface Ignitor)
    What do you guys recommend and where can I buy this book?

For now thats all the questions, but I expect to learn alot from you guys.

-Diego

i bought a U.E.I. multi meter when i first started in hvac about 10 yrs ago it is still going strong and has never let me down
    but seems like everyone here hates U.E.I.

as far as learning this is the best place i have ever seen to learn about this field

Here is a link to some of the best and easiest HVAC books around. The "Technicians Library" is a great set of books and not all that expensive.

http://www.lamabooks.com

Norm

Talking

dhvac thanks for the advice.
    But do you recommend any books??

I'm looking for a book with pretty pictures!!

What about this book?

[Edited by diegocentral on 07-27-2005 at 08:40 PM]

Playboy has some good picks. Where in n.cal. are you?

Originally posted by diegocentral
    dhvac thanks for the advice.
    But do you recommend any books??

I'm looking for a book with pretty pictures!!

What about this book?

[Edited by diegocentral on 07-27-2005 at 08:40 PM]

I do not recommend Modern Refrigeration! Go with "Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology" by Whitman and Johnson. It is published by Delmar. It is also a larger book like Modern Refrigeration but is better!

Norm

If you are located near San Jose, take some evening classes at San Jose City College. They offer some high quality HVAC classes both day and evening.

If you are near Sacramento, the community college there also has HVAC classes that are of high quality.

Norm

yes i agree
    refrigeration & air conditioning technology
    good book

but this site is still better

Just stick with it Diego and keep asking questions and work hard at learning all about HVAC and you'll be fine

Here are more excellent books I recommend;

http://www.bacharach-training.com/norm/recommended.htm

Thanks for the great information. I just spoke to a friend of mine and he gave me the "Modern Refrigeration and AC" book but I'll pick up the book both of you guys recommended, sounds like its a good book.

As far as the Multi-Meter, I Checked up on U.E.I and they have a real nice one (M384) for around 130$.

I also seen a used Fluke 87 with Tempature and Dwell on ebay for $130.

I just want something that I'll be able to rely on, and that has all the features I eventually will need. If anyone has any Meters for sale or any to recommend I appreciate the help.

Thanks a bunch.

-Diego

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by diegocentral
    Hello guys.

Well Hello, Im Diego and I don't post much but I read every once in a while. I'm trying to learn more about the service side of HVAC. I currently work for a company out of Northern California and I install "heats" on a tract homes. I get a lot of side jobs doing installs and until my last one everything went great.

My last side job I got a 3 ton package unit with a frozen blower motor. I took out the motor and replaced it. But, I need more knowledge about how to service and trouble shoot a FAU. If I am to continue doing side jobs I need to know how to fix or maintain what I'm installing, right?

That said I have a few questions.

What is a good multi-meter to buy?

- I have heard about Fluke being the best, but they're awful expensive. I really want the 87 III Fluke Multi.
    But for now what do you recommend for me to start with?

I want to buy a book about Heating and Air Conditioning systems and the Refrigeration Cycle, that explains the process the freon goes through and also how everything works inside the Unit (Example; Capacitor; Transformer; Zone Board; Hot Surface Ignitor)
    What do you guys recommend and where can I buy this book?

For now thats all the questions, but I expect to learn alot from you guys.

-Diego

Interesting,no one wants to help a DIY'er,but nothing but encouragement for side jobs ,by a guy who's not qualified,insured ,etc.

Will not debate this ,just my humble opinion.

Originally posted by dash
    [B
    Interesting,no one wants to help a DIY'er,but nothing but encouragement for side jobs ,by a guy who's not qualified,insured ,etc.

Will not debate this ,just my humble opinion. [/B]
    not trying to start a debate but if he is an installer for a company and doing side jobs he should already know the safety end of things
    like electric and gas can kill you
    besides he is asking where to learn not what to do on a job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast