Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dear forum,

After reading the thread "Will Carrier survive?" I am worried about my new central AC installation (which was done about 3 weeks ago). Please see pics below.

Is the green film (copper oxide?) near joint and next to blue filter/drier something I should worry because it is corrosion, something that could cause problems (like screwing up the A coil) down the road?

Please advise, and if the installation wasn't done correctly, please advise what should I tell the tech, and what should I request the contractor to do (this system has 1 yr labor, 5 yr parts and 10 yrs compressor warranty). Thanks for your help.

Senior Tech Guest
    Wow! Those are somma bigga pictures! Please tell me that I don't see soft solder on those joints? kind of hard to make out with the big pics....hang on...let me stand out in the street and see if I can focus.......

Nope, can't tell...

was this brazed or was staybrite with flux used

answer

nobody wiped off the left over flux when they were done
    soldering.

It discolors the copper.

Just clean off with some light sand paper.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry if the large pics took a long time to download. Didn't realize the pics would turn up so big.

To answer your questions:
    I've no clue what sort of solder the tech guys used.
    Also, no idea whether it was brazed, etc. How can I tell?

The answer that it was leftover flux sounds logical. Does leftover flux corrode the lineset from the outside?

Originally posted by Chill
    Just clean off with some light sand paper.
    Would it be OK if I leave it alone? If it doesn't do anything to the line, I'm incline to leave it alone.

Thanks for your advice.

ince the system is only three weeks old. i would recomend you call them and ask them to clean the flux off the lines.

Looks like soft solder to me...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

It's soft solder, but my bet is it's the staybrite version, which is ok.

Kinda weird to see the filter-drier inside, but I'd imagine it'd work just fine there.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    ince the system is only three weeks old. i would recomend you call them and ask them to clean the flux off the lines.
    Thats being to petty. It will take one minute to clean it off. I have seen many pipes left like this for years with no problems to the system.

Thanks, folks! I give the contractor a call, and see what they have to say about cleaning up the flux. It's no big deal, I can do it on my own.

What is soft solder, and what is staybrite with flux? Which is better (for long term durability, maintenance, less likely to leak)?

How is brazing different from soldering?

Would it help if I tell you that when I used my bare finger to touch the pipe, it has some sort of sticky, gooey transparent gel-like stuff? What's that? Should I wipe that off too?

Where do filter-drier normally go anyway?

Thanks for your answers. JYKT2005

Originally posted by Chill
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    Thats being to petty. It will take one minute to clean it off. I have seen many pipes left like this for years with no problems to the system.
    chill i wasnt tryingto be petty. i just think if you solft solder then clean the flux off maybe i am just to picky but there is no way i would leave the flux on a system. if a coustomer called and asked this same question i would go and clean it off with out any hessitation
    as far as the question about sta-brite solder
    read and repeated from what is written on the box
    high strenth silver bearing solder. excellent for filling hole or cracks. will not flow through loose fitting pipecoupling. forms strong 15,000 psi vibration proof joint on copper,aluminum, and all other solderable metals. melts at 430 degreesand flows at 535degrees. bright silver finish matches stainless steel. i find it to be just as good as a brazed joint with out oxidizing the copper. still like brazing better but some time low temp is the way to go

I like to clean them up too! I am sure I forgot once or twice, nobody's perfect. If the customer asks, I would run without hessitation too!. The issue hear is, that it is not harmfull, and its not worth getting this poster worried over it. Look now he's worrried about the filter dryer. We as professionals should be careful on the comments given out. There is alot of H.O. that don't understand and get worried over nothing. There is more than one way to do something correctly.

[Edited by Chill on 08-07-2005 at 06:39 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast