Thread: Need to upsize?

there are even people that do not like air-conditioning

Question Evaluation

Originally posted by Chill
    there are even people that do not like air-conditioning
    or MORE importantly ... A/C Techs

L.O.L.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

youwanna know the part that really sucks. Let's just say that I need to upsize the coil and outdoor unit. My furnace probably can't move enough air to keep the upsized coil from freezing so I'm gonna be into the whole thing for a new coil, outdoor unit, furnace and lineset. Like I said earlier, I doinstall so my three favorite words are gonna be "scratch and dent." My Tech should be here shortly. I'm pretty anxious to see what he has to say.

Originally posted by chrashley
    Let's just say that I need to upsize the coil and outdoor unit. My furnace probably can't move enough air to keep the upsized coil from freezing so I'm gonna be into the whole thing for a new coil, outdoor unit, furnace and lineset.
    And duct work, too.

Do yourself a favor. Don't guess what size system you need. Start with a heat gain / loss calculation. If your contractor doesn't know how to do one or says they are not necessary, choose another contractor.

Well as I suspected my tech suggested I replace everything. I have two real problems that he diagnosed for me. The first is a cracked heat exchanger. On my 15 year old clunker of a furnace It's pretty much a no brainer to replace that. Plus The thing is such an antique that it's only rated at approximately 60% efficient. My outdoor unit has had this crazy hum ever since we moved in. My head pressure was all over the place from 250-500+. It coincided with the hum. When the pressure went up, the hum came. Then it went away when the pressure went down. So we concluded that I have some debris in my system and the compressor is having to fight it through and thus not able to cool my house efficiently. It's about a grand to fix this problem or get a new unit for less than a quarter that price.

So I think I'm gonna do a manual J from the site here and put in a heat pump for my outdoor unit plus a new furnace.

Hey here's a question. Why do they call a heat pump "Duel Fuel."

Thanks for the help guys.

It's about a grand to fix this problem or get a new unit for less than a quarter that price.
    That doesn't sound quite right!
    Why do they call a heat pump "Duel Fuel.
    They don't. A dual fuel system means that the furnace can use two kinds of fuel.... in your case I would expect a heat pump plus natural gas, or propane.

The heat pump itself is just electric though...correct? So if my furnace is natural gas what is the other "fuel?"

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Dual fuel is a bit of a misnomer,it's the heat pump down to X,then the gas furnace at that temperature and any thing colder.No strip heat back up,heat pumop shuts down,and gas furnace runs.Could protection in a chaging price market of electric versus gas costs.Plus it's very comfortable.

Electric and gas are the "fuels".

Did I read your post correctly? Did you say you install HVAC systems for a living? Did you have a tech from your company look at your system?

Originally posted by bkliewer
    Did I read your post correctly? Did you say you install HVAC systems for a living? Did you have a tech from your company look at your system?
    Yes I have installed for quite some time. Also, Yes I had a Service Tech. from my company come out and look at it. Why do you ask?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12