Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by joker1
    Union or Non Union, If a shop wants to keep
    techicians around then they can do better
    than the minimum
    I work for a large union contractor.
    They pay overscale if you are good
    They buy fancy vans for the field supervisors (Power everything CC cd player the whole bit).

If an employer values an employee , they will keep you happy. If they don't they will eventually suffer.

Fitter , let's say you pull an allnighter on monday , probably from wednsday on you'll be on O.T.

Market tech here

Anything over 8 we get O.T. unless we did not come in due to a dentist appointment of something else. Then 8 hours worked before o.t. We are non-union
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I'm guessing Fitter that you don't work for a union shop. Best bet is to do a little homework to see what the law states in your area. If you find they only pay O.T. after 40 hours... then that's that... unless you find other shops 'lure' techs in, by offering better bennies. Like O.T. after an 8 hour day.

Some shops fight the law, don't do what they are supposed to... and use the threat of 'firing you' if you don't comply. If this is the case where you work. Work there only long enough to keep food in the fridge, and wolf away from the door while you ACIVELY seek a better job situation.... PERIOD!

In truth, if you are busy enough to work an average 8 hour days, for five days... and you make your normal 40 hrs... then it's good to get the over time. but if you are in slow season... and only make like 32 hours in a normal work week... then on friday, you get after hours calls... and they feel you should work the remaining 8 hours over the weekend if you are called out, on 'regular' time... the question I ask... ARE they charging those 8 hours to the customer at overtime rates? If the answer is yes... then you deserve the same respect. The shop benifiets from your labour at overtime rates... so should you. If they hide behide the law saying they don't have to pay you those '8' hours in overtime.... then fire your boss... seek one that shows respect.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Our company has always been OT only over 40. Since you always work at least 8 a day this has never been a problem because you always get your 40 plus the OT.I guess you need to watch out in case they are cheep and send you home early at the end of the week to stop having to pay you OT. If they play that game I would drop them and move on.

The non union company I used to work for here in PA was time and 1/2 after 40 hrs worked. What really sucked was if you were on call during a holiday. If you didn't work 4 10s during the week you ended up getting straight time for any on call work over the holiday. Whole different story now! Union maintenance, time and 1/2 after 8hrs, double after 50 worked. Sundays and holidays are always double.
    I LOVE this place!!
    Make it fool proof and someone will make a better fool!

if im called out after 5pm (monday to friday)i charge OT to customer and i get paid OT.Saturday and sunday are automatic OT. Also if im on a job and i have to work past 4:30pm i charge customer OT after that time. All customers get a copy of our company policy so they are aware of this upfront. No complaints so far.

[Edited by lowtemp on 07-28-2005 at 06:26 AM]

Originally posted by ricm
    the question I ask... ARE they charging those 8 hours to the customer at overtime rates? If the answer is yes... then you deserve the same respect. The shop benifiets from your labour at overtime rates... so should you. If they hide behide the law saying they don't have to pay you those '8' hours in overtime.... then fire your boss... seek one that shows respect.
    "Respect" has nothing to do with it.

The situation of an employer charging OT for after hours work, yet not necessarily paying OT rates is no different than a shop sending out apprentices or similarly lower paid employees, yet charging the customer their standard labor rate.

If the shop is legally bound to pay OT after 40, then they can do whatever they want- like manipulating employee schedules- to prevent you from getting that OT. Unless you have an agreed start time or normal workday spelled out in an employee handbook, the boss can make you start at 5 pm to meet the customers needs, and charge them OT rates, yet you get nothing.

I know people that work for a retailer, sometimes these people must work 12-14 hour days. The boss makes em take a longer lunch or they come in late or go home early to avoid the OT pay. They aren't union, so there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

"Union" shops are no different. Some will follow the letter of the law and pay all of the benefits entitled to the employee... Some will not. The usual outcome after complaining is termination. The supply of employers is not unlimited, and they do keep a "black book" of employees.

Every single union shop that I have worked for always "forgets" to pay their employees something they are entitled to. Some even have a "cash" OT program. Some have a "bonus" program for bringing the job in "under hours". I complained once to the Hall. I got my money, and shortly thereafter, I had to find another job.

[Edited by neophytes serendipity on 07-28-2005 at 06:42 AM]
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Maybe here lays the difference. All of our employees are guaranteed 40 hours a week. They get 5 paid personal days. Plus paid vacation.

When things are slow they are not sent home with no pay.

For a company, especially in commercial refrigeration to do that is just chickens!@#. If you were paid OT after 8 hr’s before then something happened to change it. Talk with your employer to find out why. If you don’t like their answer then refuse all overtime and start looking else ware. There are more contractors out there then qualified mechanics.

For those of you that want to BASH the unions just remember they the ones that fought to give use a 40 hr work week, Sick days, Vacation and holiday pay. All the benefits that are taken for granted today.

Work In Florida....Consider Your self Lucky If You Even Get Paid At All!!!........They Will Throw You In Jail If You Don't Have Workers Comp,.......But Don't Pay Your Employees, It's a Civil Matter,.....Not A Crime!!!
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Originally posted by pecmsg
    For those of you that want to BASH the unions just remember they the ones that fought to give use a 40 hr work week, Sick days, Vacation and holiday pay. All the benefits that are taken for granted today.
    Too bad more do not remember or realize that....
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Well the boss and I had a meeting today for over an hour...although I still don't like the situation, I have to give him respect for explaining to me in detail the reasoning behind these latest changes. I don't like it....but what can you do...I'll give it a couple months and compare past checks to see exactly what the difference is.

I would like to know from the replies who works Market Refrigeration....just a guess but some of you don't fully understand what being on call in Markets really means....

After reading some of these posts, it seems like I should ask the employer what are their weekly hours worked . I have always thought every full time job was a 40 hour work week.

Presently we get paid forty hours straight and everything after is time and a half. This is on the installation side. I'm not sure about the service side. No unions here.

In a past trade, tool and die, we got paid forty hours straight, time and a half up to 55 and anything over that was double. Mandatory work week was 50 hours. Then Saturday was optional. I opted to have no life and used to work five 12's and four or five on Saturday. The downfall to working this much was still living with parents, 130 hour week paycheck = spend money. The upside is I established excellent credit.

Get back to work.™

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast