Thread: Big old furnace

Post Likes
    I did a changeout today and removed a 150k btu lennox furnace. Originally, I was only going to change the coil, line set, and condensor but the discharge opening was 30x20 and nobody makes a coil with those dimensions. So it all had to go. Furnace had a 5 ton drive and the condensor was a 5 ton luxaire. The coil was a dual circuit with two suction lines going to a heder and then into the condensor. The discharge was 1/2 inch. I replaced it with a 4 ton system, 100k 90% Gibson. I will be there again tomorrow. Should be easier with out all the lifting. That furnace was a beast to get up the stairs. Just my blaber for the day.

Post Likes
    Don't recall if Lux ever used a double suction line or not. Kinda think not. Westinghouse and some of the old Dunham-Bushes did. Glad you didn't change the outdoor unit and put it on that Smithsonian vintage coil!

Post Likes
    I have an old Whirlpool unit as large as the one you discribed which is no longer in use even though it works fine, boss told me to remove it and also the old unit outside, it's 24 years old and still cools well, now we're lucky if we get 15 years tops with out units of today, oh how things have changed.

Post Likes
    reminds me of an old unit in a basement one time we did,...old chrysler unit i think,..all i know was it was as big as an automobile and there wasn't no way it was going up the stairs they had,....guess they dropped it down there and built the house over it??..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in